Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gwrightson

Be carful
« on: March 12, 2008, 07:25:12 pm »
Susan lazaruk, The Province
Published: Wednesday, March 05, 2008
WorkSafe B.C. is investigating the deaths of two carpet cleaners, possibly from carbon-monoxide poisoning.

The bodies of the two men, aged 63 and 45, were found by the manager of a townhouse complex in Richmond, near Blundell and No. 4 roads, on Monday night.

"The Richmond fire department did detect the presence of carbon monoxide," said Donna Freeman of WorkSafe
Font:****The men, who were not named, worked for Fast Speed Carpet and Upholstery. The company's voicemail box was full yesterday and no one could be reached for comment.

The men were last heard from around 4 p.m., when they called the property manager and told him they expected to be finished cleaning the townhouse by 6 p.m., said Freeman.

The manager went to the suite at 8 p.m. and found the bodies and called 911.

Freeman said the carpet-cleaning equipment was on a truck parked in the garage and the men were working in a "relatively closed" area. The equipment included an "internal combustion engine."

It's not clear if the small company was registered with WorkSafe B.C., said Freeman.

RCMP ruled out foul play. The coroner's office is investigating to determine the cause of death.

Dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide can accumulate if fuel is not fully burned or if rooms are poorly ventilated.

geoff

who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

mark_roberts

Re: Be carful
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:38:36 pm »
Sadly common sence was lacking here.

Not fussed on their company name either.

Mark

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 07:46:21 pm »
Similar stories have cropped up in various publications for years including quite a few who had parked the van under the car port and burnt the house down when their van caught fire.

lands

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:12:02 pm »
Its more than lack of C S it's an Emp liability claim from the families as they must have been low skilled, low paid and not had all the training they should have had.

And before anyone says well they should have realised and they are daft I can assure you that the law won't see it like that (especially American).

More important it's just sad.

garyj

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:28:37 pm »
I bet they were at the last job of the day and someone said "while you're here can you just quickly do my 12' X 10' rug" and they just had enough and ended it.

Damian

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:40:36 pm »
They had a premonition of Darlings budget! lol
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:43:47 pm »
Perhaps a bit of flatulence  :o

Shaun

maxcarpets

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 07:57:48 am »
I set of a carbon monoxide alarm once! now I never back onto the drive I always have engine facing away from house. very sad.

Justin

Dave_Lee

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 06:14:58 pm »
Same thing happened to a couple of Yanks a few years ago, when the TM exhaust was sucked into the open garage and into the ventilation system.
I once had to park my first TM van into an alley and space was so tight I had to position the TM facing into the back yard. I was aware of the dangers and was fortuinatly just about finished when I noticed the gas fire in the lounge had Yellow flames flickering. Finished off fast and then went through the house opened every window, front and back doors untill I was sure t was allout.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 06:29:23 pm »
would you get the same probs with LPG?

Dave_Lee

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 01:52:58 pm »
No Colin were both safe (Custy's too) now we are both on the wagon. No more poisonous fumes and no more HAVING TO park on the drive facing away from the door and its lss than half the price of petrol, on top of that both our units exhaust to the ground. Anyone interested - both units will be at the CCDO.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."