Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

nat

Protectacoate on plylining
« on: February 19, 2008, 05:11:25 pm »
I have a new vivaro coming next week, it has been fully plylined. the other vans i've got have all been protecta coated steaight onto the metal floor.

Has anyone protectacoated onto ply floor? if so what preparation did you do? do you have to seal the sides to the floor at all?

Captain Scarlet

Re: Protectacoate on plylining
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 05:19:17 pm »
If I was doing it, I would silicon seal all the gaps to the floor between the ply before hand, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

nat

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 05:21:36 pm »
have you done it before Luke? if so what is the best way round (if any) wooden floor or onto the metal?

MJH

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »
You can buy a kit direct from protectakote with everything you need, its quite reasonable for a van of your size, i did my floor, 2 coats and wheel arches, it works well, and yes defo seal all edges with silicone it prevents water running under the ply line, make sure u where gloves and give your van a good airing before use its potent stuff! ;)

nat

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 05:25:43 pm »
Thanks MJH, i have used it before a few times but never straight onto ply, thats why i thought i'fd ask because i want to seal it properly so its water tight in the back

NWH

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 05:29:27 pm »
You should have told them not to ply the floor for you,save messing around sealing it just take it off if i was you.

nat

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 05:37:57 pm »
its all new wood NWH so i ain't one to throw away a feebie  ;D well i want to keep the sides but if a rip the floor up there will be a gap between the ply and floor? anyone know a way round that?

NWH

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 05:47:41 pm »
Don`t worrry about the gap,spray up the sides a couple of inches.

nat

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 06:05:41 pm »
it will get behind the sides if you don't seal it though surely?

my other vans have no plylining in them at all so its pretty straight forward in what to actually protectacoate ;)

anyone actually know the correct procedure at all? if not i'll speak to protectacoate about it

NWH

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 06:13:24 pm »
Spray the floor and 2 inches up the sides,you`ll need to mask the inside of the van up.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 06:18:12 pm »
Trouble is, if the floor does leak under the ply you won't see it anyway, well not until your floor falls out with the rust. I would remove the ply if it was me.

NWH

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 06:20:49 pm »
If there is any moisture under that ply any at all once you spray over the top in effect your sealing it in and will rott the floor,to be on the safe side i would take it up it`ll only take 10-20 mins.

tonylee

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 06:47:37 pm »
hi
itys easy to take out just a few screws. i took the sides and floor out of my van. coated the floor and 4 inches up the sides then i re fitted the ply on the sides only. i have kept the floor ply to go back in the van when i sell it
tony

steve m

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 06:49:50 pm »
why not takethe floor up, put in a lay flat tank and put the ply on top af the tank to make a false floor for storage

nat

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 06:51:11 pm »
hi
itys easy to take out just a few screws. i took the sides and floor out of my van. coated the floor and 4 inches up the sides then i re fitted the ply on the sides only. i have kept the floor ply to go back in the van when i sell it
tony

thanks Tony, that makes the most sense mate cheers. spray the whole floor and put the sides back on after...thanks a lot i'll do it that way ;)

nat

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 06:52:18 pm »
why not takethe floor up, put in a lay flat tank and put the ply on top af the tank to make a false floor for storage

i do use the lay flat tanks and thats also a good idea...nice one!! i knew that free plylining would come in handy  ;D

Highrise

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »
DON'T PLY THE FLOOR !!!!!!!!

When they do they will screw throughe the floor thus making it easy for the rust to start around the screw holes.....
I have got Speedlining on the floor and ply on the sides with the Speedlining up to the wheel arches, When fixing the tank to the chassie you must put the Speedling/Protectorcote around the holes with some anti rust stuff thus making it rust proff and in five years time not making you floor drop out....
When your windows are clear, My conscience is clear...