Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Water rate?

More water, higher flow.
96.2%
25 (96.2%)
Less water, low flow
3.8%
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

More or less???
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:05:23 pm »
Groundhog made this comment today:

Good for you Mark, but in my opinion stretching out the water that you use means working slower, I use a high flow rate which allows me to work at maximum speed and still do a good job!

Have to say I agree fully. I now have a 500L tank and dont worry about running out, I work quicker and quality is not comprimised(sic)
Windows I have had problems with have had less water on them.

What do you think?

NWH

Re: More or less???
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:19:07 pm »
Less water means more problems in my book,you need to flush the glass with water that`s the idea not to use as little amount as you can.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 05:23:12 pm »
I'm coming round to a bit more is quicker and due to weight issues I can probably only add another 75L in barrels to augment my 400L tank in my Doblo. I could put a 500L tank in but would then be pushing the 736kg limit thus:-

475L of water  475kg
Me, suited and booted 90kg
Tank 25kg
Hose and reel 25kg
Battery, pole, bag and pump 25kg
Trad gear, tools, junk 25kg

= 665kg

Add a full tank of fuel at 65litres and I'm on 730kg!

Just need to give one of the kids a lift to school and I'd be over the limit.

Better start dieting and running a low fuel tank if I want to start out with 500L!
It's a game of three halves!

NWH

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:24:54 pm »
I wouldn`t worry about a few kilos here and there,the more you work the less your carrying.

mark dew

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:24:11 pm »
You and groundhog are right. A higher flow rate does a much quicker job, especially when rinsing on the glass. I've knocked around 1/3 off times with higher flow and rinsing on the glass. Where we differed was how much money could be earnt with so much water. Less water = more jobs done before running out. But you sacrifice speed for a lower flow rate.

NWH

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 06:26:36 pm »
You and groundhog are right. A higher flow rate does a much quicker job, especially when rinsing on the glass. I've knocked around 1/3 off times with higher flow and rinsing on the glass. Where we differed was how much money could be earnt with so much water. Less water = more jobs done before running out. But you sacrifice speed for a lower flow rate.
That`s what i like about this Forum,it`s like having someone with you at work given you help and advise. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

mark dew

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 06:32:31 pm »
agree with that nwh. This forum makes me money by providing me with info and other peoples experiences that would have taken me years to have found out on my own.

macmac

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 06:42:55 pm »
Less water means more problems in my book,you need to flush the glass with water that`s the idea not to use as little amount as you can.

Agree with this dude ;)

tony

NWH

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 06:44:45 pm »
Hello Mac,we must stop agreeing mate it`s giving me a nose bleed.

macmac

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 06:54:51 pm »
Hello Mac,we must stop agreeing mate it`s giving me a nose bleed.

I know, keep waiting for you to slip up then we can have a good rant at each other for old times sake ;D
Go on, post summat to reel me straight in like a fish, like, facelift poles are crap! :o

Tony

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 06:59:10 pm »
You have to experiment:  For a long time now I've been as sparing as I could with the water, believing I would run out if I had a higher flow rate.

Recently I've cut down on my work volume (getting too old ;D) so as I only have to do about half the work I used to, I reckoned I could afford to turn up the flow without risking running out.

SURPRISE:  There was no difference in consumption ::)

Higher flow rate was compensated by quicker working, so same quantity of water used.

BIG BONUS: High flow rate puts more water on the glass so more effective cleaning and especially rinsing. A good quick scrub followed by a thorough flushing for a much shorter time seems to give better results.

Why didn't I work that out months ago? ::)

Dean Aspects

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 06:59:21 pm »
I recently upped my flow rate as i was getting a few problems i found it was so much quicker rincing and bizzarely i still use about the same amount of water maybe 50 litres more a day

Dean

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 07:04:24 pm »
 the quicker the water the quicker the job. and the quicker you earn money at the end of the day this is why we all work is'nt it  ::)

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 10:54:19 pm »
Anyone for a low rate to save water?

mark dew

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 11:12:07 pm »
Anyone for a low rate to save water?

jeff brimble is the man for this i think

One of the areas i work is 15 mile away my furthest point away from home. I've picked up quite a bit of work here but unless i use the trolley or turn the varistream right down i will run out of water with 3 or 4 houses left.
Sometimes i'm forced to go back to the area the next day to finish off but it would take longer and cost more in diesel to do this. So i use the trolley on a few at the end so i can eke out the water to finish the area,
It takes longer to do this but is still much quicker than driving there again the next day.
I haven't got on with flow controllers on the hose. I might buy a holster or a trigger and use the van mount all of the time. But the trouble with a van mount is that the outlet is an inch or 2 off the bottom so leaves alot of water in the tank that can't be used. With a submersible pump i can suck that up and use the trolley.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 11:28:06 pm »
I had an exceptionally good day today on my own. I managed to use 600 litres of water. Cleaned a hell of a lot of houses all very close proximity. I always use a high flow of water. Don't use anymore water with a high flow rate to clean a house than if you were trying to spare the water, just that you clean them much quicker. Why fluff around conserving water, when your main objective is to clean more windows.

alanwilson

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 12:06:39 am »
high flow - varistream set at 1.30 most days
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!