Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bluez

Buyer beware
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:09:00 am »
I have read lots of posts on here about buying rounds either from w/c who are giving up or from canvassing companies and while the idea of owning customers is a bit strange to me I have often thought about posting on these topics but because I have no personal experience I haven't UNTIL NOW.

If you buy a round from ANYWHERE it is up to the buyer imo to ensure the validity of the clients and their frequency, not just to accept it at face value.

If I bought 50 customers with various frequencies the first thing I would do is ring each of them and confirm the details of the round to garauntee the value prior to handing over any cash. This is just common sense. I get so frustrated reading posts about canvassing co's that have short changed people etc. agree a format for compensation in writting for drop off clients in advance and in writting.

In essence If you are buying anything allways remember it's buyer beware.
hi

alanwilson

Re: Buyer beware
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:59:01 pm »
you are only buying goodwill when you buy a round - for anyone looking to expand my advice is to canvass yourself - and if you need to bring more work in quicker why not pay family/friends to do it.

Say £10 an hr and they bring you in £5 for each hour, much better return for your money plus you're giving the money to someone close to you.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

cvdewsbury

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:17:00 pm »
I have read lots of posts on here about buying rounds either from w/c who are giving up or from canvassing companies and while the idea of owning customers is a bit strange to me I have often thought about posting on these topics but because I have no personal experience I haven't UNTIL NOW.

If you buy a round from ANYWHERE it is up to the buyer imo to ensure the validity of the clients and their frequency, not just to accept it at face value.

If I bought 50 customers with various frequencies the first thing I would do is ring each of them and confirm the details of the round to garauntee the value prior to handing over any cash. This is just common sense. I get so frustrated reading posts about canvassing co's that have short changed people etc. agree a format for compensation in writting for drop off clients in advance and in writting.

In essence If you are buying anything allways remember it's buyer beware.

I believe most people on here if they was buying a window cleaning round would want to go round with the seller and be quickly introduced to  customer before purchasing the round  I for one would

Londoner

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »
Canvassing companies do exactly what their name implies. They go out and do your doorknocking for you. What they provide you with is a list of people who have said they are interested in having their windows cleaned.
The fact that some of these people will turn out to be time wasters or even complete nutcases is just a fact of life.

The trouble comes when a list of names starts getting offered as something its not (ie a working round ) and sold to someone too inexperienced to know the difference. This often has the element of scam to it.

But it is not all one sided. Many of the buyers are not capable of working the round and it falls into decline. Weeks turn into months and then it changes hands again with more problems.

My view is if you have the personal qualities to run a round, turn out on cold mornings, deal with the muck and truck, keep your customers happy etc you are going to want to do your own canvassing.   

pjulk

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 06:18:45 pm »
Save your money and build up your own round.

If doorknocking is not your thing get 10,000 leaflets printed and deliver them it does not take long to build a round up as long as you keep plugging away.

Paul

Londoner

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 06:42:52 pm »
Yeah Paul.
Getting the customers is not the hardest bit but it does require persistance. 90% of all new start window cleaners drop out.
The 10% that are left know that shining the glass is not enough. Running a round is like taking a degree in psycology.

jonah

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 07:00:13 pm »
There is nothing better than building you own round . You can start as you mean to go on and build up a working relationship with the customer .  As to buying work you have to do your homework and the first question you have to ask the seller is " why are you selling " .   If you do buy you need to see accounts and personally would want to meet at least a sample of the customers of your choice .   And it is best to work the work if you can .   I would never personally buy a round that is underpriced.........why do people advertise a round that says " the work is due a price rise so that will increase your money " no it wont if you are new and put the price up you will lose most of the work !

brightnclean

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 07:47:55 pm »
I am going to play devil's advocate here.

I canvass A LOT for my own work and I've been doing it for years so I think I am pretty good at it. I don't like it as such but I don't mind it either. I get around a 20% drop out within 3 months from newly canvassed customers. It isn't down to work standards or laziness in doing them. They get a good service.

Now..  canvassing companies are basically doing the same thing as I do and are probably as good at it as I and a lot here are.

I see a lot of posts complaining about canvassing companies but I take them with a pinch of salt. There's always 2 sides to every story and I don't belive all the losses are down to the fault of the canvassing companies.

If I were running a canvassing company I would keep records of every client gained and when told they had been dropped I would call the customer and ask why. It's all a bit of a minefield really.

If I were to go out canvassing for work for others I would use my own expereinces to formulate a charging policy for the window cleaner I was working for and it would probably go something like this:  2.5 times clean value for 70% of customers gained and then 2 times clean value for what remained after 3 cleans. Even then I would call the "drop outs" to make sure I wasn't being done so to speak.

Do any of you lot think this is a fairer way than the usual 2 x value then arguing over any losses however they may happen?

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 07:52:14 pm »
if you dont have time to build a round, use a canvassing compnay but insure you get terms in writing, I have used a few and at the end of the day I got what I wanted and I allow for people canceling that way no problems, 2x 3x 4x even 5x you will make a good return on investment.

jonah

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 07:54:10 pm »
When can you start ?

MSTAV

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 08:17:27 pm »
yea i agree.. with my experiance in canvassing it takes ages to build solid customers..id say prob 5 in 10 are gona be good custermers but you always get the ones who mess you about, paying, not this month ect. realy does my head in