Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian W

Battery leak
« on: January 31, 2008, 06:20:28 pm »
I had a new battery delivered to me today.

When I opened the package, the battery had obviously leaked. I rang the supplier and have been advised to top it up with de-ionised water. Will that affect the battery adversely?

I also understood it would be 28ah, but appears to be 24ah. Will that make a huge difference to working times? It will be powering a shurflo slv10.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

L.J.Thorpe

Re: Battery leak
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:37:06 pm »
what kind of battery is it mate?

matt

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 07:02:31 pm »

When I opened the package, the battery had obviously leaked. I rang the supplier and have been advised to top it up with de-ionised water. Will that affect the battery adversely?

I also understood it would be 28ah, but appears to be 24ah. Will that make a huge difference to working times? It will be powering a shurflo slv10.

the spill shouldnt really effect the battery if you top it up

the 4 aph isnt alot, not worth argueing about imho

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:04:54 pm »

sry if this is a downer 28ah I use a 85ah I never trust it, always have a back up, battery dead lost money you can never get back. Beter safe than sry IMO

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 07:12:38 pm »
i have 5 20ah wheelchair batteries in varying states of efficiency which get rotated.Altogether they cost 25 quid and are sealed lead acid type ,some are getting a bit crap now and one of em only lasts a couple of hours on full charge,still you get what you pay for

matt

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 07:24:22 pm »
the trade off between a big lump of a 85 or 110 amp battery is agaisnt the lightness of a smaller battery

its up to you in the end

Ian W

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 07:28:29 pm »
It is a lead-acid battery. I only wanted a small, light battery. I was just concerned that I might have problems sooner rather than later. It should be ok for my small round, but will probably need an upgrade once I build the round up more. Thanks guys.
Charles Dickens

matt

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 07:38:28 pm »
just charge it up every night and it will do fine, i used to use a 17 amp battery, it does wear out after 9 - 12 months though

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 07:49:55 pm »
this may seem obvious but i assume then that its not sealed or they would not advise you to top it up

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 08:01:03 pm »
some are some arent, i have two 40 ah wheelchair batteries- which are sealed, and they work great- i only use one of them, which lasts about 3 -4 days in a row, with no real sign of decreased power..

the 28 or 24' sshould be fine for max 2 days work on a standard 100psi sureflow pump.. i usually charge up each night.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 08:14:56 pm »
My 80ah lasted less than a year, unfortunately i don't have a receipt for it cos it was supplied by Pure Freedom who seem to be constantly changing hands lately. I have bought one locally now and so with any luck should have free batteries for several years to come - provided they fail as fast as the last one.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 08:16:21 pm »
some are some arent, i have two 40 ah wheelchair batteries- which are sealed, and they work great- i only use one of them, which lasts about 3 -4 days in a row, with no real sign of decreased power..

the 28 or 24' sshould be fine for max 2 days work on a standard 100psi sureflow pump.. i usually charge up each night.
i ll go along with that sounds bout right , iam thinking about using 12 ah batteries on the trolley soon because the wheelchair man near me has got loads of them kicking about and wants peanuts for them  ;D they weigh nothing and all of them are working at well over 100% whereas most of mine are about 60% or less

Ian W

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 09:45:11 pm »
No it definitely wasn't sealed. It has half a dozen little caps on top which allow access to top up the cells. I can see the lead plates, but I can't see the acid solution.
Charles Dickens

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 09:48:14 pm »
it will be fine top up and no probs ;D ;D

Ian W

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 05:58:17 am »
Done and charged. Now to see what happens.  8)
Charles Dickens