Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gsw

commercial and harness
« on: December 08, 2007, 01:48:38 pm »
Hi, can someone please tell me, I have just quoted a commercial property with a large flat roof all the way round. there are windows which look out onto the flat roof and the only way they can be cleaned is by accessing the roof. there is a cable to harness onto all round the building on the roof. the facilities manager said that they have harnesses on site if i would like to use one. ladders are not needed as access can be gained out of one of the windows and all other windows on the building will be poled.

should i have a certificate of any sort to enable me to use the harness?

its a new building, i know for a fact that other trades have been out on the roof regularly using the harnesses, should they also hav certificates?

any help will be appreciated, including what to include in a risk assesment for the windows,

thanks in advance

greg

Rob_Mac

Re: commercial and harness
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 01:53:14 pm »
A harness that has no history to it could be a dangerous thing.

You can buy a harness for your use only from somewhere like Northern Tool uk for about £40.00

If you use one that every tom, dick and harry has had his hands on - has it had a fall, been dragged down the wall, misused.

I have my own harness and so do the lads that work with us.

When you buy a harness they have a card with them and this is to make sure they are serviced and passed back to you in excellent condition.

Don't use someone elses harness!!!

Rob ;D

gsw

Re: commercial and harness
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 01:56:24 pm »
cheers rob, no problem buying one the job is well worth it!!!

should i have been on some sort of course though? after all its not exactly abseiling!!

but on the other hand would still like to be legit if its needed!