Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Franky2020

Lucky Escape
« on: November 28, 2007, 11:15:49 pm »
Wa s window cleaning today and dropped one of my cloths and when bending down to pick it up,put my head straight down on cane sticking out of the ground going straight into my eye and have spent rest of day getting the actual eye being stitched up in hospital.Fortunatley I seem to see out of it okay at the moment.Anyone else done something similar or is it just me accident prone

brett walker

Re: Lucky Escape
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 11:49:30 pm »
Hope you get better soon

Last week i was climbing over a fence and sustained a head and leg injury but i am back at work this week

It just goes to show you dont have to be at the top of a ladder to have an accident but i know what you mean about canes sticking out ive come accross them myself.

Take care

Brett

davids3511

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 12:15:04 am »
That sounds painful. A few years back my son who was about 1 at the time scratched my eye. Eventually it got a bit infected and I had to go to a&e one night at 5am. Even the light from the clock on the video player was causing extreme pain.

They had some magical eye drops, the pain just went in a second. I asked if I could have some to take home, no was the reply, they melt your eye if you use them too much. Don't know if she was having me on or not but I didn't want to find out.

However much pain I thought I was in, you must have been in agony and probably frightened you might loose the eye.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 12:44:57 am »
I had a near miss a few years back with a split bamboo cane placed under a window. Not with my eye though. Gashed my wrist. Didn't see it among some plants. Was only a matter of a centimeter or so and it could have caused a nasty bleed.

barry woodward

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:28:32 am »
Broke my elbow a couple of weeks ago, rollerskating with my six year old. So having a nice rest at the moment doing all the paperwork. BORING.
Its nice having to be driven everywhere tho, might employ the Mrs as a chauffer  ;D

Ian W

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 01:38:43 pm »
That was lucky. Glad to hear that it doesn't seem to have affected your sight. Get well soon.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

rugby

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 12:03:06 pm »
made my eyes water just thinking about it, OUCH  :'(

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 02:59:16 pm »
Had a metal filing (similar to a splinter), embedded in my left eye from a grinder, despite wearing safety goggles on site.
Had to go into surgery and have an injection in my eye, worst bit was seeing the needle coming up close before they could numb the eye to try to remove the filing. Left eye has a permanent scratch but at least the filing was removed. Had to wear an eye patch for a couple days and couldn't stop bumping into walls :)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 03:08:38 pm »
Wa s window cleaning today and dropped one of my cloths and when bending down to pick it up,put my head straight down on cane sticking out of the ground going straight into my eye and have spent rest of day getting the actual eye being stitched up in hospital.Fortunatley I seem to see out of it okay at the moment.Anyone else done something similar or is it just me accident prone

That's not accident prone - the cane should have been covered with a little cap.  Proper gardeners always have them as canes can cause irreparable damage.  I used to work for an Eye Surgeon in Bath (as his humble secretary) and you soon realize how precious your eyes are and how easily they can be damaged.  I'm glad you seem to be OK but please don't hesitate to see someone (no pun intended) if you're not totally happy with how your eye is feeling.

Mrs A

Davew

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 03:35:51 pm »
........... and now a windowcleaners secretary - a lucky move i'd say. ;)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 03:36:31 pm »
The perks are better  :)

NWH

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 03:40:17 pm »
Your more likely to get injured with these canes when working trad as the need to bend down so much is not needed when working WFP, i`ve caught my cheek on those things in the past and thought that was lucky.

Davew

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 03:40:38 pm »
Mrs A, are you a Bathonian?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 04:02:02 pm »
Unfortunately not, what a beautiful city.  I used to live just outside Bath and went to Bath College where I trained as a Medical Secretary.  I then worked at the RUH and The Bath Clinic until I moved to Cornwall 8 years ago.  I've had many a happy lunch hour sitting in the square, feeding the pigeons and watching the world go by!  Funnily enough, Truro (in Cornwall) reminds me a lot of Bath.

Mrs A

Franky2020

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 04:14:56 pm »
Thanks for above comments,and the eye seems okay at the moment.

Davew

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 04:16:14 pm »
Ah right, just wondered 'cos thats my home town (Claverton Down). Small world....... Don't tell me Alex used to be a brain surgeon and that's how you met! ;)

sorry Kev i forgot about you!

Alex Gardiner

Re: Lucky Escape New
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 04:23:17 pm »
Yes, small world!  I got two rescue kittens from Claverton Down RSPCA many years ago. My mum used to live at Bathampton just across the bridge from Bathampton Mill.

Glad your eye is feeling OK Kevin  :)

Davew

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 04:31:02 pm »
Yep know it well, close to the canal and river. lovely spot.  :)