Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

6 ages of a window cleaner (employed)
« on: November 27, 2007, 08:01:24 pm »
Following on from the subject started by Helen earlier
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=46442.0

Thought I'd come up with (from experience) the 6 ages of an employed window cleaner.

Month 1: New to the game and although inexperienced listen to what is told and try to copy instructor. ;)
Month 2: Now nearly ready to be let lose on your customers. First signs of now trying to do it in a way not taught only  weeks ago. ???
Month 3: Quick bit of re-training needed. Speed increases so does quality. ;D
Month 4: Confidence outstrips ability. Suddenly think they can do twice the work in half the time to the same quality. Guess what they can't. >:(
Month 5: First murmours of thinking they are the window cleaners window cleaner. (say it slowly and think about it) >:( >:(
Month 6: They now know it all. They think they've been doing it for years and aren't shy to tell you so. Infact they now think they own the business not actually work for it. >:( >:( >:(
Month 7: Either the 1st written warning is issued or sacked and it's good riddence, time to find new recruit. 8)

In 4 years of employing this has been the story of at least 10 employees.

aztec

Re: 6 ages of a window cleaner (employed)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:05:42 pm »
that is all so right!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 10:31:22 pm »
Month 8: They're still with you but start going sick on a regular basis. You start getting concerned that (a) they're going to sue you for RSI or (b) they're starting up their own business

Pj

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 10:44:20 pm »
Yep, been there.

Of course, you forgot to mention from month 1 onward you have to accept that said employee is entitled to answer his mobile phone and send and receive text messages anytime....

since smoking has become a health problem and unacceptable break, the mobile phone is an excuse for an acceptable break anytime!  Be it 10 seconds or 20 minutes  twenty times a day!!!!!!!!!!

Where are we heading? :-\

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 09:48:13 am »
This is why I am a one man band. I can't be doing with all this stuff.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:55:12 am »
Yep, been there.

Of course, you forgot to mention from month 1 onward you have to accept that said employee is entitled to answer his mobile phone and send and receive text messages anytime....

since smoking has become a health problem and unacceptable break, the mobile phone is an excuse for an acceptable break anytime!  Be it 10 seconds or 20 minutes  twenty times a day!!!!!!!!!!

Not if you dont allow mobile phones for personal use, I let them use it at work but dont take the P.  They know I am fair and expect the same in return, as for the first post so much of that is true it is the same for me

Helen

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 10:07:07 am »
Yep, been there.

to a lot of one man bands and a load of unemployed, previously employed window cleaners ;D

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 10:46:30 am »
Yep, been there.

to a lot of one man bands and a load of unemployed, previously employed window cleaners ;D
lol

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 12:06:17 pm »
I think it.s down to the type of person you take on.  Thier attitude. their matuaty etc.  If you are a good judge of caracter then I think you are over half way there.  Having said that. you can never be 100 per cent sure.

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

Helen

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 03:36:11 pm »
I think it.s down to the type of person you take on.  Thier attitude. their matuaty etc.  If you are a good judge of caracter then I think you are over half way there.  Having said that. you can never be 100 per cent sure.

David

It's a lottery and not just in our industry, it's national!!! ;D

Londoner

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 05:11:26 pm »
Oh very true. Employing staff is a nightmare in any business.