Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

House Angels

Builders cleans
« on: October 30, 2007, 02:52:29 pm »
Hi All

We have taken on a builders clean but the external windows are covered in render made from sharp sand.

The windows are double glazed units set in a timber frame but the yellow sandstone has doscoloured the white sills in places.

Firstly any advice on a solution to get the sandstone render off the glass and any hints as to what we can use on the sills would be great

Many thanks

Terry :)
Terry

Professional service at all times

House Angels

Re: Builders cleans
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 08:47:51 am »
Hi All

There I was thinking I was at the font of all window cleaning knowledge and what do I get?

Not one reply........Not one of you Gods deemed to have any input.......................Oh well never mind trial and error will have to do I just know not to bother anymore!
Terry

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 08:55:36 am »
Hi All

We have taken on a builders clean but the external windows are covered in render made from sharp sand.

The windows are double glazed units set in a timber frame but the yellow sandstone has doscoloured the white sills in places.

Firstly any advice on a solution to get the sandstone render off the glass and any hints as to what we can use on the sills would be great

Many thanks

Terry :)
Make sure you get them to sign a disclaimer for scratches on the glass, razor blade off the render, I have never used a chemical on this only water and razor scarper.

I good upvc cleaner with get the stains off,

As to your second post, I am many always help if we can, this is the first time I have seen the post as was not very well yesterday so was not on here much.
sometimes days will pass with no answer. you could always do a search (search builders cleans) as I am 99% sure this has been covered many times before.

I hope the info helps a little.

best wishes

Ian

House Angels

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 09:04:49 am »
All I can say is you are indeed a clean it up god!

Thanks for the advice

Terry
Terry

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 12:21:11 pm »
Terry

Didny notice this one.

for the cement you need a scraper and a spray bottle so you can wet the window without rubbing it with your applicator.

Be sure to scrape in one direction only lifting off between scrapes, the reason is 2 fold.
1 .grit could get under your scaper on the backstrokes
2. by staying in one direction you know any scratches in opposite directions are not yours, point out any you find after the first window with an explaination how you scraped it, so they know you are not responsible, you should be ok because no-one cares about the way windows are treated these days(seems that way)

As for the yellowing , get a good quality cleaner available from window fitting firms, some use cif etc, or methylated spirit.

If using the last 2 do a test area first.

Hope this helps

Dave