Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M & C Window Cleaning

Chalky UPVC
« on: October 30, 2007, 06:45:41 pm »
I came accross a couple of really chalky UPVC frames today.
Anyone else had these on their rounds.
I didn't think it was possible?

Ian_Giles

Re: Chalky UPVC
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 07:02:26 pm »
Ooooh yes, you'll find them all over the shop, if the frames look slightly dull there is a chance they will have began to oxidise :-\
Keep checking on the face of the house that catches the most sun, just the wet finger wipe.
First time clean on these take your time and scrub the frames really thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly!
You'll probably have to go back over them and just do the glass.

Not too high a flowrate, wash up to the rubber seals and carefully rinse just the glass as much as possible.
They will come up fine in the end, the more experienced you are the more adept you will become at getting them right.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Andy@w.c.s

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:03:16 pm »
I had one today on a new clean we did
At first  thought it was just the dirt coming of but it was the upvc ,never had it happen before though
will just have to watch that on in future

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:03:36 pm »
Are you sure they were upvc ? they may have been aluminium frames they do go chalky badly if not maintained regularly

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 07:05:51 pm »
Yeah, I had a job once.
Did the first clean and..........white water rince :o :o

I thought.......Oh Poo, I bet I get a phone call tonight ::) ::)

..............No phone call

Next time I went the lady came out and offered me a cuppa and thanked me for such a wonderful job :P :P
Got away with that one ;D ;D

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

Dean Aspects

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 07:13:31 pm »
Early on when i first started wfp with little experience i got one thought i had done a good job went back the next month  :o white glass all round customer never complained
Now with experience these jobs are what i look forward to doing something to get your teeth (or brush) into instead of clean windows clean after clean sad i know!!

Dean

macmac

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 07:15:54 pm »
Yep, there are some very old pvc windows about nowadays. people still tend to think of pvc windows as being new'ish but i've come across some realy old & oxidised ones a few times.

tony

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 07:29:34 pm »
Ian are you sure?

Couldn't this white chalkyness be jif or vim or some other cleaning agent that someone has used on the frames even years ago?

I'm not trying to provoke an argument, I'm just wondering if you are certain that plastic oxidises in this way.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 08:39:13 pm »
If the frames are narrow metal white matt paint frames then run your finger along the dry frame. If your finger rubs off white powder then the best advise is to stay well clear of them as they are a lot of hassle.

They can be cleaned but are a lot of hassle and very time consuming which should be reflected in the price.

dai

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 09:13:58 pm »
Ian are you sure?

Well I raised this issue about a year ago, at the time only Ian and a couple of others had experienced it.
I do 6 days on one estate, and the ones built first, 14 years ago have began to chalk on south facing frames. This is PVC, not coated aluminium. I don't know if  these frames are PVC or UPVC, the latter is supposed to have built in protection from ultra violet light.
The bad news is that the ones I first noticed are still chalking, and they have been done every month frames and all. Dai

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 10:43:23 pm »
Okay point accepted. The good news is that we need'nt worry any more about plaggy bags in landfill sites,they'll be dust inside twenty years.

Scientists eh. what do they know?

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 11:55:04 pm »
Thanks guys for your suggestions and support.

They are deffo UPVC but are quite old. Water ran off them like milk at first. I gave em a good scrub till water ran as clear as I could get it, moved on to another window and went back to em and just did windows up to the frame. So hopefully that will have done the trick.