Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M & C Window Cleaning

Leaky Window Problem
« on: September 01, 2007, 10:05:19 pm »
Hi all,

Did two custies wfp for the first time the other week both with well maintained wooden framed windows with openers above and below on the same windows. The Problem was that the windows were closed when I did them and as a result the water ran down the upper window onto the frame behind and then down the inside of the lower window.
One was a large bungalow so I microfibred the top openers and wfp'd the lower ones but the other was a two storey house so I could only get my pole to the tops. Is there any way to avoid this problem by technique if the custy is not in and cannot open the upper windows (fanlights)?

Mark

mark dew

Re: Leaky Window Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 10:34:18 pm »
I'm not sure myself and would like to know. But i turn the flow down or go over quickly on the windows that leak and i don't rinse them.
The trick is to know which windows leak and that takes a few cleans to remember. I avoid cleaning the frames above the opening as well.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 11:05:14 pm »
Hi all,

Did two custies wfp for the first time the other week both with well maintained wooden framed windows with openers above and below on the same windows. The Problem was that the windows were closed when I did them and as a result the water ran down the upper window onto the frame behind and then down the inside of the lower window.
One was a large bungalow so I microfibred the top openers and wfp'd the lower ones but the other was a two storey house so I could only get my pole to the tops. Is there any way to avoid this problem by technique if the custy is not in and cannot open the upper windows (fanlights)?

Mark

I've got one like this that used to leak quite badly.  What I do is to clean the top two panes with an Unger pole and squeegee, then do the lower ones with WFP with a low flow rate in case it splashes up.  I've discussed it with the customer and theyt are happy with a slight reduction in quality on the upper panes so long as there is no leak.  A bit more messing about for me but these things happen occasionally.

Pure H20 Cleaning Services

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 11:21:42 pm »
Quote to clean the insides aswell ;D
In the kingdom of the blind
The one eyed man is king

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 11:59:11 pm »
Hi Mark

I have a few like that as well.  Even a couple with upvc frames.  If its the upstairs windows I just go over quick and explain to the customers, if it's the downstairs I just wipe over the offending windows with a microfiber.

I did have a really bad one where all the windows leaked.  The man was okay but has just moved.  When we went he said he'd pass my number on, I said not to bother as his windows are so leaky, he replied that if he closes them tight they don't.

Most people with leaky windows will be used to them leaking in the rain.

Simon

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 12:10:12 am »
Quote to clean the insides aswell

I like it. Never thought of that!

On the serious side though, the windows themselves hardly showed a mark, probably because it was ny-on pure water that went through. However I was also concerned in case the custy had anything on the sill that might get damaged.

Hi Simon,

And thanks for the tips all.

pjulk

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 12:47:04 am »
I have a few on my round that leak.
What i do is to turn the water off as the brush is always wet and just give them a good scrub.
Then put the water on low and rinse quick.
It works for me.

Paul