Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colley614

Got undercut !!
« on: August 30, 2007, 05:38:35 pm »

Not very impressed.

Priced up a big school before the holidays and sent them a quote. Received letter confirming that the price had been accepted and everything was a okay to go and that they wanted me to start the clean 31st of August and finish 1st Sept with the option of working Sat 2nd if not finished. So anyway turns up this morning to make sure everything was ready for tomorrow and the caretaker comes running out all flustered. He tells me that after they had accepted my offer the Head Teacher had basically phoned another company that had put a bid in stating my price and asked if they could do it for cheaper! They agreed to doing the school cheaper but when looking at the windows today you could tell they had been given a quick rub with a water fed pole and not even rinsed. There was water marks all over the windows and to be honest they looked worse than when I priced them with at least a years worth of dirt on them.

Really up set about this as I have boxed all my work for this week and need something to do tomorrow now. Really, Really not impressed with this little episode ( So I thought I'd rant over it to you poor guys ;D)

Really Really annoyed!

brightnclean

Re: Got undercut !!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 06:03:54 pm »
See a solicitor about this and take that letter with you.

If it states that your priceor the job has been accepted and you have copis of your quotes and also the fact that they gave you the go ahead and gave the dates etc I reckon you have a case against the school.

My thinking here is that the other company left a mess for someone to go clean up  ;)

Kwackers

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 06:12:08 pm »
Did you go in and get it signed, that's not really on to be honest!

AuRavelling79

Re: Got undercut !! New
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 06:12:22 pm »
The head must be so incompetant - he sends you a letter then gets another co. in without telling you! - He's an idiot.

Do what Brightnclean said.
It's a game of three halves!

colley614

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 06:20:41 pm »
My last words for the caretaker were " I gave you a price to CLEAN your windows. It looks like someone else gave you a price to wet them instead!" I'll probably get another phone call next year but unfortunately I'm going to have to put I higher bid in next year to cover my losses, Lol.

I'm not getting messed around by people and I made that clear today. I told him the least that they could have done was phoned me and let me know that my services were no longer required. I even said that I had turned a days work down because I was doing this job which in turn upset the guy I sub contract from and this guy had been good to me in the past. Once he got a phone call from a local company that had ten stores in the area and instead of putting a price in himself as it was purely window cleaning with no other work involved he gave them my number and told them I was the window cleaning department. Didn't end up with the work because they were expecting to pay £1.50 a shop and some of their stores were about 20 miles away.

jouk45

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 06:28:34 pm »
i mean, what if you had went out and bought poles and equipment specialy for this job,
you would have be out of pocket,  ??? i hate when they do that,

*foxman

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:41:54 pm »
Hope you gave him what for. >:(

But there is a good lesson to be learnt, get a purchase order number off them for the next job and have it faxed over, that will give you a lot of protection should it come to any unscrouplous behaviour.

matt

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 07:51:42 pm »
yet another case of the window cleaner being so lowley thought of, that they didnt even have the decency to phone and tell you, you were not needed  :(

colley614

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 07:55:38 pm »
Really does annoy me the way me and my fellow tradesmen get treated at times. Imagine if I was a CORGI registered Gas man. I would of be able to charge them probably £100 just for turning up!

gsw

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 08:45:30 pm »

the price had been accepted and everything was a okay to go and that they wanted me to start the clean 31st of August and finish 1st Sept with the option of working Sat 2nd if not finished.

send them an invoice!

see what follows. after all its not your fault another firm turned up and messed up your clean windows with tap water that they were professing to demineralised, is it? and then quote for a re-clean!

Pole2pole

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 08:54:05 pm »
Are ya still feeling down Matt? I think there's two sides to this coin of being looked down on as "mere" window cleaners. I'm not saying it's ok to be treated like scum. That aint on. But just about everybody on here knows that as an occupation goes, pounds per hour, we're quids in. And all the time we're creaming it and being pitied by those too dumb to realise how good we've got it, I for one am cool with that.
I was undercut today by some trad boys. Her excuse was the sills weren't as clean as she'd like. The windows are gleaming but the sills aint quite as good. Oh and i was too expensive(£8 front) She can't afford that cos she just had a gas bill for £300 come in. Hey guess what???? I get £300 gas bills too  :P That's why i charge £8 for the front. But i guess she's too dumb to see that. Anyways i hope she's happy paying £2.50 to the teenage flybynights. But she DID say she'd keep my number for future reference. You can imagin what my answer to that was  ;)
Rant over.............Glad she's gone now...upwards and onwards  ;)

matt

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 09:08:31 pm »
Are ya still feeling down Matt?

i feel like crap, i have a cold ( or some tropical flu ;))

im sure when this pass's i will be feeling better, ive allready got a plan to fill my extra day or 2, just need 20 K to get it sorted ;) im not 1 to put it on the mortgage , so dont know how to get it, are well, i guess its cleaning windows for a bit, might double my prices and see if that get the customers attention  ;D ;D

Pole2pole

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 09:10:46 pm »
Man flu sucks don't it??? And them women with their pregnancies, periods and menopause think they've got it soo bad. They don't know they're born  ::)........... ;D

matt

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 11:06:38 pm »
Man flu sucks don't it??? And them women with their pregnancies, periods and menopause think they've got it soo bad. They don't know they're born  ::)........... ;D

indeed  ;D