Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SparklingWC

Salt Marks
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:41:39 pm »
Hi,
As i live (and so work) by the coast a lot of the windows have marks where the salt water has ben from the rain, these marks dont seem to come off when washed or even with a scraper - any ways to get them off?

thanks.

NWH

Re: Salt Marks
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 06:46:57 pm »
It sounds like it`s making contact with something above the window first before it drips down and leaves marks on the glass,you can get these marks when the window has lead directly above it with no tile or guttering to direct it away from the window.

SparklingWC

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 07:09:49 pm »
I havent noticed anything common about the marks, a lot of the houses are recent builds (last 10 years) and still have the marks - and they all have guttering. im sure the marks are from the salt air and the water mixed etc and not being cleaned off for months/years. just dont know how to get it off and it leavse the windows looking dirty still, even though no one has complained and the people i have spoke to know its a problem and not me doing a crappy job - i still dont like leaving the marks there

colley614

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 08:19:45 pm »
Take a photo of the marks and post the photo on here and I'm sure someone will have the answer to your problem!

SparklingWC

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:30:48 pm »
ok, might take me a while ... need to get my camera back from a friend - but next time i see them and i have my camera on me i'll get pictures for you.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 01:55:12 am »
I used to live on the isle of wight and the salt in the air didnt really affect windows in that way, but I think I have the same problem with some houses in  cambridge and it seems to be limescale build up, i could be wrong.

SparklingWC

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 03:40:04 pm »
here are the pics, this example shows lines down.
but its similar to others which have dots/circles of marks similar to those in these pictures

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 04:47:24 pm »
if you tip a bucket of tap water on a patio door when the sun is shining on it let it dry and watch what it does, total nightmare to get off even with scraper.

Come on guys someone most no of a liquid you can get to remove it.
Would limescale remover do the job or would it damage the windows.

dai

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 10:15:40 pm »
I clean a marina complex and a block of flats right on the beach facing west.
Never had this problem. I would suspect the rubber seals, but you say some are on new builds. A mystery to me mate. but It's down to more than salt. Plastic frames never give me this problem. Dai

SparklingWC

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 10:29:41 pm »
the seals on some of them are cr*p, so maybe it is that then. though, as i havent paid much attention to the factors that match on each house that i have noticed i cant be certain what is the same and what factors are diffferent (seals etc) but, mosthave been plastic windows and some with good seals so im still not sure

SparklingWC

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 10:42:51 pm »
some of the seals (and yes, on atleast one of these houses) leaves black ink like marks on my cloths. so it could be that,

the marks dont go all the way down, it looks like they do on that picture, but that is just the top corner of the window and from quote close.

didnt notice if they were black, they seem to be dark water marks - so could be faint black i guess, but still slightly see-through

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 12:01:57 am »
I think the blackness coming onto the clothes is the rubber sills breaking down and trying to return to it former state (power) in a few years them windows should start to blow and if they dont fix them it is very easy for you to clean as it would not make any difference as they will be milky and stained in the middle of the glass.