Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

groundhog

Commercial quote
« on: August 15, 2007, 12:11:47 pm »
I am quoting for a company that owns 7 large sheltered housing blocks of flats, it is just for the communal glas although most of the residents will also require their windows cleaned. I am always a bit cheeky and ask the house managers what the previous cleaner charged, most won't say but one of the seven showed me a bill from the current cleaner, it was about a 3rd of what I would have quoted!!!!!!! :o So I am unsure now about what to do, there is no way I am going to try to match his prices, but there is also no way I am going to get the job if I charge my usual prices. The only way I can even compete is if I seriously lower my usual standards of cleaning to get them done quickly, any advice on this type of work would be appreciated. Cheers :)

Robert Parry

Re: Commercial quote
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:24:19 pm »
Groundhog,

I wouldnt lower my prices either, and I certainly wouldnt be prepared to lower the standard of work, so my advice would be to ensure that all my paperwork is in order, risk assessments/method statements/insurance etc, and just submit the price, perhaps in person, to explain the huge difference in price, ie. that your costs are higher due to the fact that you are a professional and well aware of all the rules and regs.

Your prospect is looking to get rid of the other cleaner for some reason, might be useful to see if you can find out why, which may give you further ideas on how to sell to this particular prospect.

I understand once he gets your price, you probably wont get the job, but surely it would be better to walk away, than try to compete with the cowboy element or try to deal with a person who insists on low prices, just my thoughts.

Regards,

Rob
A world of difference....

Trevor Knight

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:48:03 pm »
Go in with what is your price, remember you are selling a service not in a price war over a product!!

DON'T tell them you know the previous w/c's price, simply sell your professionalism, attention to detail, regularity, reliability and high standards! Express there are many cheaper window cleaners out there but you get what you pay for!

In your quotation submit all the relevant documents H&S, Risk, Safety etc... along with Insurance Cert. This emphasises exactly what service you are providing.

Regards,

Trevor

Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

groundhog

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 01:00:44 pm »
Cheers guys for the replies, I think you are right as quite a few of my domestic customers are ex customers of this window cleaner and I got the jobs despite being at least double his price on average. He never touches frames or sills and his nickname is port holes for obvious reasons, apart from that he's a nice bloke!

AJ

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 06:17:09 pm »
you only get what you pay for in this life. as long as you can justify your prices, whats the problem. there is no point i dropping your prices to compete with somebody who obviously can't do his job properly, you will end running at a loss.
only you knows what you need to charge to survive. if you're going to work all day for half a days money, theres no point

NWH

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:22:29 pm »
I would just quote my normal price,the price they used to pay wouldn`t enter my mind.You`ve got to price it at your normal rate otherwise what`s the point of getting the job,the words work smarter not harder spring to mind you don`t want to end up with a load of work numptyody wants.

groundhog

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:35:20 pm »
I think that the only way that I could compete with this wc on price would be to drop my standards to his level, the quote is for inside and out and I was told that he rarely bothered to clean the insides, and the outsides are a bit of a rushed job, as one of the house managers said he dosn't do a very good job but he's cheap so we put up with him!!

He also uses ladders which I was surprised that a housing association would allow, so I am going to price up as normal, and perhaps the health and safety factor might swing it in my favour.

tacky

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 10:44:47 pm »
it depends what the other window cleaner charged. u ether want the job or u dont .if u do u must at least match is prices .be fair it does nt take much effort to do a better job than im . it is 7 complex es .a reguler income .n u could always put up prices along the way . n its money in the bank .

mark dew

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 10:54:34 pm »
it depends what the other window cleaner charged. u ether want the job or u dont .if u do u must at least match is prices .be fair it does nt take much effort to do a better job than im . it is 7 complex es .a reguler income .n u could always put up prices along the way . n its money in the bank .

Fair comment, but prices should go up surely. How long ago did the other wc quote
for this job?
Good luck with this groundhog. I'm interested  to know how you get on.
I ponder about this type of work every so often but always think against it because it doesn't seem to come close to competing with domestic in terms of price and flexibilty of hours.

groundhog

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 11:13:06 pm »
I will keep you posted, but I am not desperate for the work so I am not going to try to compete on price as it would not be worth my while, but I will highlight the health and safety aspects.

mark dew

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 11:15:02 pm »
yeah, fair play to you.

AJ

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 04:19:02 pm »
when you put your quote in, enclose your method statement & risk assessment along with a copy of your insurance cert. the other bloke probably didn't have these and HA's are supposed to ask for them anyway before employing. also it shows that you are a professional outfit.

groundhog

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 05:18:28 pm »
Cheers AJ, I will do.