Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Filllllll

wfp from a flat roof
« on: July 25, 2007, 06:35:02 am »
I've a new job where an existing customer has moved into the flat above their shop in the middle of town.The flat has three sides ,each with many windows.One side I can reach wfp from road level.The back is conservatory the length of the side with flat roof with no parapet at the end.The front has 2nd & 3rd floor windows above a large flat roof with no parapet down the side.
The customer is happy for me to walk on the flat roof.

Question is ...... would it be ok from h&s viewpoint to wfp from the flat roof?I'm under the impression flat roofs are a 'no no' without a parapet,although I have some domestics where there is no alternative but to get the ladder out and do trad above a flat roof.

Filllllll

AuRavelling79

Re: wfp from a flat roof
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 06:52:25 am »
I don't know from a H&S point of view but ...

I wouldn't wfp or ladder from a flat roof without express permission and a waiver from the householder - in writing. I would worry about damage or leaks being attributed to me and being claimed against.

When I was trad, however I did stand on flat roofs and with an anti-slip board to spread the load with carpet on the underside I have laddered from them on rare occasions.

But no more!
It's a game of three halves!

Mr.G

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 10:42:49 am »
Malc has a point about leaks, but from an H and S view it's safe as they're plenty strong enough to walk on, (unless the boards are rotten). and obviously you'd not stand too near the edge.
Unless you mean the petty "nanny state" H and S regulations, in which case I don't know...

m.b.s.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:19:45 am »
be carful on a flat roof as i once did one it was a dodgie roof any way and i told the customer i could not be held responsabile if any think happend he said ok just go ahed and do them .severel months whent by and it had rained  the night before i whent to do them got to the job looked at roof it was wet through puddles every were told the customer what it was like up there he said do them so me and my partner got on the roof put a scafolding bord on the roof set the ladders up to do the windows . at this time every think was wet through the bord the ladder grips any way up i went with my partner footing it then it happened th roof gave way through the roof the ladders went the only thing that saved me was the roof joist and my partners sheer strenth  .customer was not amused but we had gave him warning before we took the job on and the day it happened . any way we lost the job as it went to court and we won the case .it tought us a thing or too
all i can say is becarfull luckely i am still hear to tell this story but may have not been will not go on to any roofs what so ever now.alsoread your public liability insurance small print to see if it will cover you or not . ;)

Filllllll

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 05:28:52 pm »
Thanks for the input.
It was the H & S regs I was concerned with.I've actually told the customer that I'm not prepared to go on the roof,(I really don't want the hassle!)
Filllllll