Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Davew

Spot the overhead cable
« on: July 19, 2007, 12:22:24 pm »
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/kiteboy_jimbo/P1000168.jpg

Quite common in my area. :o
Perhaps the person who got annoyed when I started to enquire about them can understand my worries. Remember I have touched a couple when I started out due to ignorance!!

jeff1

Re: Spot the overhead cable
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:58:15 pm »
Dave

Anyone who gets annoyed when you ask questions about safety, in my mind is not very safety orientated and if they get annoyed at such questions, then why bother not only reading but replying to the topic. ::) ::)

I think you have a valid point and every care should be taken if you have to work in that type of road in the picture.

twt

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:08:46 pm »
i think im probably the person who got annoyed.i was anoyyed at the stupid ideas of earthing poles adding devices to stop water running down the pole and wearing electricians gloves when the advice should have been, always be aware of any cables around you and don't touch them. i was also annoyed about all these people harking on about the safety of wfp but not actually thinking of any risks involved in using it when the claim that they  use it for safety reasons when more than likley it is to increase their turnover but they dont like to admit that.

JM123

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:16:17 pm »
Phillip, the advice given is to wear electricians gloves but to stay clear of cables if possible.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

twt

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:25:30 pm »
electicians gloves wont do alot of good if the pole touches your body as it often does when in use. also you don't stay clear if possible you stay clear no ifs about it.

steve m

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 05:28:39 pm »
if it touches your body around the waist it will damage you but not kill you, keep wearing the gloves to insulate your hands/arms

Davew

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 06:57:03 pm »
Phill, I can't remember who it was and it really dosen't matter now, but you can see my point from the picture. I'm more annoyed at a) my own stupidity in not realising the dangers and b) the lack of warnings from many suppliers etc who want to encourage wfp and all quote health and safety but very few mention this potential problem. Whilst I would hate to be forced to attend h&s courses there are some dangers for the d.i.y er and also regarding tank mounting.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 07:11:24 pm »
Hi Davew,

I think that all of those cables in your picture are low level insulated cables. Might be mistaken though.

soapy

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 07:11:43 pm »
If in dought stay well away !!
Soapy window cleaner

Davew

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 07:21:09 pm »
Thanks Alex, what does that mean are they safe?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 07:25:05 pm »
If the cables are indeed insulated then they are safe. You would need to check on this before touching!

Davew

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 07:34:11 pm »
Think I'll just look instead thanks ;)

jeff1

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 07:45:59 pm »
The alley pole I have for conservatory roofs is made in the USA, and it has a large warning sticker on it, warning of overhead power cables, it would be nice to see these stickers on all poles whoever the manufacturer is.

Its not down to the suppliers to make sure there is a warning on the pole, but the manufacturers, apart from Alex how many suppliers are aware of the dangers from a certain type of poles?.

Davew

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 08:33:12 pm »
Yes your right there Jeff. In all fairness Alex is one supplier who mentions the risk of using carbon on his website. I think I mentioned some time ago that I thought the only risk was of coming into contact with the wires carried by a pylon - because I didn't know otherwise. I didn't even know power was supplied to houses by overhead cable at all. Doh!

jeff1

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 08:49:03 pm »
Yes your right there Jeff. In all fairness Alex is one supplier who mentions the risk of using carbon on his website. I think I mentioned some time ago that I thought the only risk was of coming into contact with the wires carried by a pylon - because I didn't know otherwise. I didn't even know power was supplied to houses by overhead cable at all. Doh!
Alex is the only supplier I know who helps and gives regular safety advice and by putting the warning on his website, tells me he is a rare and very good supplier who has concerns for his customers safety.

I was pointing towards the manufacturers of poles to put a warning label on every pole that can conduct electricity. it isn't really down to the suppliers to do it, as half of them don't know them selves? what contucts and what doesn't.

kiral1404

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 11:47:29 pm »
The pole on the left is electric board pole (240v)

The main cable from top left to the pole is the main cable

All the smaller cables branching to the houses are service cables.

All are insulated and carry 240v.

The service cable as you can see goes from the pole  (look at first house to the left) to the house (in between the 2 windows) and travels inside the house into the cutout (meter box).

If i was cleaning that house I would go from one top window to the next with the water running.

For the split second the water touches the insulated cable it isn't going to fry you :o

The cable is called ABC (Aerial Bunched Conductor) or at least it was. Service cable (new at least) is insulated too.  There should be no exposed part of wire in these type services until it reaches the cutout.

If any of you see older green looking wire (copper) or ally (dull looking) then this is not insulated

These tend to be on the mains not the services.

Darren

Ex High Voltage Fitter