Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pat Purcell

tricky windows
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:33:37 am »
The semi -circular windows in the picture are about 30 feet up and have about an 18 inch ledge
The tricky part is that the windows are square and some of the window is hidden behind the brick, theres about an 8 inch gap between the windows and the inside of the brick
Is there a wfp set up that will wash the part of the window behind the brick and also deal with the bottom of the window with the 18 inch ledge
edit:the windows are the width of the bottom that you see  plus 3 inches either side so thats about how much is hidden
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

r4g1t

Re: tricky windows
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:28:42 am »
ladder it

Pat Purcell

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:10:46 am »
ladder it
Thats how we do it right now, but the h&s rules here make it virtually impossible to do it legally and its across the street from the OSHA office(US version of H&S)
The windows setup like a sliding door wihe each pane being 6'X6'so when using a ladder with the setback of 18" and the window behind the reveal etc its difficult to get the part behind the brick without stepping off the ladder on to the ledge
We have tried abseiling it same problem , we have used a cherry picker but theres not enough room on the ground and its still very difficult, we have popped open the window and stepped outside but again the safety problem
Theres about 72 windows like this and we have been doing them for over 10 years by whatever means but I was hoping there may be a WFP solution which would speed it up plus moving a 40ft ladder for a day is a pain in the butt

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:52:16 pm »
Just a thought? but what about an angle adaptor and a double goose neck?

pjulk

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:47:03 pm »
You need a powerpole with a gooseneck extension.
I don't know if any other manufacturers make gooseneck extensions.

Paul

tom_currie

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:44:52 pm »
tucker do a 24 inch goose neck and as long as a gap between glass and brick work simple job done

NWH

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 05:55:36 pm »
Like Jeff says put a plastic gooseneck on the end of an aliminium one,you can then get near enough any angle you want.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 06:46:31 pm »
Pat, You have shown us the pic sometime ago.
 So hidden behind the arch brickwork is a normal  window. I guess they dont slide from within, otherwise you wouldnt be asking the question.  You need to go up between the glass about 12-18"  top left and right corners hidden from view, The gap is only 8" so the brush needs to address the glass at 90 degrees on some sort of goose neck on top of a 30ft pole, but to get there the goose neck/pole needs to vertical and the brush still has to be at the correct angle to clean the glass.

If this is the case, Could you cut/remove the broom handle holder from the brush to leave the brush a flat back, then bolt through the front of the brush through the stock and then through the goose neck with a wing nut and bolt. his would allow the brush to be torqued and swivel left and right to go top left and right of the hidden glass.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 07:31:09 pm »
Yeah Jeff, I asked the same question on another forum a good while ago,
One of the windows does slide(not easily) but we cant step out on the ledge withouit risking a fine from OSHA plus its hotel rooms and they are always completely occupied so access is a problem
Yes I would say your correct 12-18in is hidden and any gooseneck you use that would reach the bottom of the glass would be too big to fit behind the brick
Is there a gooseneck that looks like a sideways letter z

brush
                      l
                      l_____
                                 l
                                 l
                                 l
                               pole
which would also have a forward angle deep enough to reach the bottom

We would be purchasing a wfp system just for these windows so would I be as well offf gettin 2 poles with one that will get behind the brick and one that will get the bottom and has anyone ever used 2 poles to clean 1 window at the same time, These people pay us a lot of money so I would like to sort it anyway I can .

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 07:56:42 pm »
Forgot about the bottom bit.  :-[
If they slide, someone inside sliding them back and too and someone wfp from the outside "reaching tha parts that other window cleaners fail to reach  :) "
One pole but two different goosencks and brushes.  The bottom goosenck with a single bend 30 degree 18" reach.
Over here we have very cheap aluminium Television mast ariel tube £8 of approx the right diameter to take a brush with double bends offset ` to use as a goose neck. Looks like a lazy Z

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 08:37:00 pm »
Or how about fitting a hose into the alu tube of this washer 18" scrubber http://72.10.47.74/uk2005/detail.php?ID=13752 on a cranked angle joint and drilling 4 1mm Say 1/16th holes to allow water out into the fabric. Would allow you to just wash the top of the glass then wfp the rest. Just an idea. 

Pat Purcell

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 08:46:11 pm »
Thanks Jeff, but only one side of the window slides the other is stationary and access is a real issue
Theres 72 of these total and on a good day we may be able to access 10, it also requires two people to slide them as the tracks are not the best and the windows weigh close to 200lb
Sorry to keep coming up with reasons your solutions won't work but I appreciate the thought you have given the problem
The ariel thing may be my best bet, can any type of sturdy metal be bent into a gooseneck with the hose running outside or does the water have to flow thru the gooseneck
The only wfp ive ever seen( besides the pictures on this and other sites) is a dual hose tucker pole a customer gave me and while Ive never used it it appears that one of the hoses runs the water thru the gooseneck
Thanks again to all the responders

Pat Purcell

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 08:47:51 pm »
Or how about fitting a hose into the alu tube of this washer 18" scrubber http://72.10.47.74/uk2005/detail.php?ID=13752 on a cranked angle joint and drilling 4 1mm Say 1/16th holes to allow water out into the fabric. Would allow you to just wash the top of the glass then wfp the rest. Just an idea. 
Just saw this response, It won't let me see the scrubber jeff

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 08:51:47 pm »
Its just a T bar scrubber that swivels, I think ettore do one, will try to put the urls in. Or copy and paste into the address bar on google. Its off the USA Unger site.
Try the link again.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 08:57:41 pm »
Thanks Jeff, i know the one you mean,
So if i just figure a way to run pure  water thru it and get a pole to reach then do the window in 2 stages
That may very well be the solution
Thanks again , Time to break out the tool box ;)