Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ronaldo

TANK TROUBLE
« on: June 25, 2007, 05:41:00 pm »
My tank has developed a small leak in the one corner, has anybody ever fixed one or is there anybody i can ring to explain in more detail of what the problem is.

Thanks Ron  :(
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Roy Harding

Re: TANK TROUBLE
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 05:44:57 pm »
I split a window cleaning bucket once right across the bottom, I rough it up with sand paper and used Araldite to get me buy why I got a new one. The repair lasted 3yrs used every day.

So try Araldite

Roy

Davew

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 05:46:22 pm »
Ireckon you could probably repair it by "soldering it " with some similar plastic - probably very similar to washing up bowl plastic.

ronaldo

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 05:56:05 pm »
Whats happened is when i placed the tank on the timbers i didnt realise that i had left an over hang on the one side of about 3 quarters of an inch, and obviously over the last 15 months or so its caused it to crease and a very small leak has developed, its a great tank and was expensive so i just hope when ive emptied it i can repair it. otherwise its going to be another costly mistake.

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 06:09:42 pm »
get some of that putty stick I think its called a repair stick, you just mould it between your fingers until its one colour and you can use it under water to repair tanks etc, harmless to fish, so it should be ok for your tank? Available from screwfix and places alike.

riz

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 06:51:50 pm »
Cut out a square or a piece of a plastic water container rub them up a bit with sand paper, clean, then araldite it to the tank and keep it under pressure till dry. I did mine this way and is still fine after 2 years and pressure testing.

ScrimShady

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 10:13:23 pm »
i used soap to stop mine leaking, get a bar of soap and keep rubbing it into the tank where it is leaking, you have to wait for it to dry fully but it works.
i am a marine engineer and i used it on a fuel tank when i worked on a fishing trawler.
I know it sounds stupid

Majestic

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:29:06 pm »
Buy a new one, or try a puncture repair outfit ;D

Mike_G

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 10:30:07 pm »
Can you use the sealant they use on aquariums? Waterproof for sure and good sealant i would think it would be fine. I guess most pet shops sell it.

ronaldo

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 07:07:13 pm »
Tank is now fixed  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for all your replies.

Ron.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 07:14:27 pm »
How did you fix it.

ronaldo

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 07:30:52 pm »
1st attempt i tried melting hot plastic onto the crease, started filling up got about 120 litres in and the leak was away again.

2nd attempt went to B&Q got some of their own brand epoxy resin with the tube of hardener that come with it, went home and with a rough sandpaper gave the tank a right good roughing up around the area of the crease.

I then cut a piece of plastic from the top of a sandwich box of around 3 inches square, roughed that up aswell then mixed up the resin and stuck that over crease almost like a patch.

I gave that 12 hrs to go of then mixed up some more resin and went over the patch and all around it, after it dried it looked almost as if it had been welded on, 750 litres in the tank and no leak so touch wood it looks like job done.