Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Trevor Knight

Ladder Exchange??
« on: June 08, 2007, 07:38:45 am »
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

mark f

Re: Ladder Exchange??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 12:17:41 pm »
sounds like perfect common sense to me, unlike the sacre mongering nonsense we often hear on this site.

I spoke to a ladder using window cleaner the other day who was looking at my wfp set up and he was asked to do a survey for hse with regard to how he uses ladders to clean house windows. Which he did. He uses normal trade ladder with ladder mitts and swivel feet.

They gratefully thanked him and gave him some information to help him continue work safely at height.

Makes sense to get dodgy ladders off the streets to me.

Anyone know what that knew hse approved ladder device is called which you use instead off mitts and collapse in on sill or wall stopping any slip?

Trevor Knight

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 07:29:04 am »
I totally agree,

There is a lot of misunderstanding regarding the WAH directive, however, whats more important is that if you use ladders then you use ladders that are safe, sturdy and designed for your working practice.

When I first started I purchased ladders from a DIY store, they were wobbly, not very strong and in hindsight, not what I should have been using!

The WAH directive has come about as a  result of accidents falling from heights. Its strange that until now it seems, that the blame has always been on the user and condeming him for overstretching, poor positioning and careless operation. Maybe had the government made more information and help available on what ladder to use, how to use is safely and where to purchase it from perhaps some accidents would have been prevented.

It would be interesting to see an honestly answered poll regarding just how many accidents from height using ladders we as a result of carelessness or ladder failure and if it was ladder faliure was it because of using the wrong type of ladder and not a professional one designed for the industry?

Maybe I should create a poll??
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

mark f

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 05:11:14 pm »
Yes i think im in a similar boat to you .  I have always used a domestic ladder for 20 years because they are lighter. But because of new regs i bought 2 trade ladders last year which are a little sturdier, and now i always make sure feet are replaced. As will the ladder when it is worn.

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 05:50:24 pm »
This is not aimed at anyone in particular, I'd just like everyone to know the correct interpretation of the WAHD.

There is a lot of misunderstanding regarding the WAH directive,

From the link Trev provided:

HSE and Local Authority inspectors will also be looking at safe ladder use in June and July 2007. We have a simple message to ladder users. If it is right to use a ladder, use the right ladder, use it safely. If it’s not the right ladder, exchange it.   

Note the area of text that I highlighted and consider why that line should be included?

I've went through the WAHD 2005 with a fine tooth-comb and my understanding of it is - and I believe it to be the correct interpretation - is that IF A JOB CAN BE SAFELY DONE FROM THE GROUND, AND IT'S PRACTICLE TO DO SO; THEN THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.

Ladders are a last resort and the principle of the WAHD is to get people to understand the heirachy of principles when it comes to deciding how a job can be done.

I'll be even clearer, ladders are not meant to be your first and only choice of access when it comes to window cleaning.  It should be WFP (or poles); and if it can't be done that way, then ladders can be used (Okay, there could be other considerations, such as MEWP or abseiling and stuff), but working at height should not be your first choice.

Sigh!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 07:56:21 pm »
Tosh

You are of course correct but the sad fact is ladders are not banned and people will continue to use them as FIRST CHOICE and there will always be deaths and major injuries through there use.

If you are using ladders make sure you know how to use the properly and inspect them regularly, if there is any sign of damage, dont use them.

I took my last set of ladders to the local tip and put them in the metal skip, with the strict instructions they shouldnt be sold on, as some of these unscrupulous tip workers do.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 12:52:07 am »
I took my last set of ladders to the local tip and put them in the metal skip, with the strict instructions they shouldnt be sold on, as some of these unscrupulous tip workers do.

I cut mine up before I dump them.

DASERVICES

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 09:02:53 pm »
Has anybody yet done this, if so what was the price you paid for the ladder.

Thinking of doing it.

Thanks

DASERVICES

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 09:19:38 pm »
I presume that's a No or are unaware what to do, here is the link if anyone is interested :- http://www.nfmwgc.com/documents/Exchange_dodgy_ladders.pdf

I'll be doing it if it's a good price.