Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jeff1

Re: electrocution from our poles
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 10:40:29 pm »
 :o :o :o Water and Electric don't Mix  ::)

twt

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 04:55:59 pm »
:o :o :o Water and Electric don't Mix ::)

yes they do !
car batterys mix water and electric all the time

twt

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 04:59:32 pm »
jeff my pole runs on water i dont use electric in it so its not gonna shock me is it even i know that and im not a rocket surgeon

jeff1

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 06:35:09 pm »
:o :o :o Water and Electric don't Mix ::)

yes they do !
car batterys mix water and electric all the time
Thats because water is one of the best conductors of electricity, and its not just plain water in a battery it is an electrolite solousion,  if this electrolite became exhausted, even with it filled with water it would not work.

jeff1

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 06:44:27 pm »
jeff my pole runs on water i dont use electric in it so its not gonna shock me is it even i know that and im not a rocket surgeon
Then let me give you a little science??? in plain old english, because I think this may just save your life.
When your using your pole that runs on water, just like all of our poles, you are soaking the ground around you and maybe, just maybe, your getting a little wet your self,
Now lets say you accidently touch an overhead power cable even if your say 6'' away from it, the electricity can ark (thats Jump) that 6'' hit your wet brush, the electricity can then travel down your pole and ELECTROCUTE you, even more so if your stood on wet ground.
Now I hope you can see, were not talking about what our poles run on but what comes out of them and working near electricity.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 06:51:53 pm »
Theres one born every minute  ;D

Or maybe a village is missing an ejit.

Sorry, and I mean that, but get real, please.

kiral1404

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 11:13:55 pm »
It's good to see this debate opening up and peoples ignorance of a very real threat.

If anyone is interested I can try and get the clearances distances of the different range of electricity

Anorak I know but it might just save someones life.

In my old job, I used to work in compounds upto 132,00v. I knew the safety clearances and it still made me nervous in certain substations.

I once had a near miss. I pulled a small fuse from a LV pillar. The wire from the back touch the busbars and flashed over. Luckily i didn't get a shock and just had some carbon burns on my hand.

The voltage that 99% of you will go near is of this kind. If it doesn't kill you it can really do some damage.

The outside may not look so bad but your insides will look like they've had a flesh eating bug over your organs.

I know the safe distances and I wouldn't risk going near them.

Is it really worth a few quid.

Darren

jeff1

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 11:19:19 pm »
It's good to see this debate opening up and peoples ignorance of a very real threat.

If anyone is interested I can try and get the clearances distances of the different range of electricity

Anorak I know but it might just save someones life.

In my old job, I used to work in compounds upto 132,00v. I knew the safety clearances and it still made me nervous in certain substations.

I once had a near miss. I pulled a small fuse from a LV pillar. The wire from the back touch the busbars and flashed over. Luckily i didn't get a shock and just had some carbon burns on my hand.

The voltage that 99% of you will go near is of this kind. If it doesn't kill you it can really do some damage.

The outside may not look so bad but your insides will look like they've had a flesh eating bug over your organs.

I know the safe distances and I wouldn't risk going near them.

Is it really worth a few quid.

Darren
Darren
Any type of info you can get and add to this will be beneficial to us all.
I also think its now opening a few more eye's to the potential dangers we all face, not just wfp users but ladder users as well.

I watched a friend die in front of me, when he was working on the elecrtrical system of a helicopter and that was an 18v system :o  No there is no typo eror 18v, this has made me more aware of electricity at any voltage.

kiral1404

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 11:22:35 pm »
Haven't got my old safety books anymore as I don't ever intend on going back to that industry.

Will phone a friend tomorrow and hopefully get some distances.

If i can add some photos  i will try

jeff1

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 11:48:13 pm »
Haven't got my old safety books anymore as I don't ever intend on going back to that industry.

Will phone a friend tomorrow and hopefully get some distances.

If i can add some photos  i will try
Thanks darren
Everything helps

twt

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 03:18:53 pm »
so jeff1 your saying if i touch one of those wires i could die!

I thought the signs saying DANGER OF DEATH on the electric poles was just to scare people away from stealing electricity.

Ok seriously now, how can people who use wfp for safety reasons have not considered the risks other than falls from height.People bang on about tanks being secured properly, not using ladders because of how dangerous they are etc but do they think about other things.
The problem with health and safety laws are that they draw attention to one danger at a time and people on here as has already been said only seem to concentrate on falls from height. i hate the term risk assesment but anyone who has a brain in their head will continually be assessing the risks around them weather at work or not.
I suspect that some may think that because they use wfp they are totally safe at work!
How about this you stand in the road to clean windows with a pole when with a ladder you could have stayed on the pavement but it must be safer becuase its wfp.

don't mean to offend anyone but feel that there could be a real lack of common sense out there, ok you wear electrical gloves on your hands but does the rest of your body not come into contact at times with the pole whilst working, ok then earth your pole, but would in not be better to prevent yourself coming into contact with electric in the first place.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 03:24:13 pm »
I always used to stand in the road of our quiet sleepy town, after all I am only there for a min or two. Then someone pointed out that I would no longer be covered from my PL insurance unless I had the correct signage on the carriage way. You want to see number of the signs your supposed to put out even for two minutes work and permits 100yds either side of a crossing. But thats a different topic. I now stand on the pavement and get wet  :'(

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 04:30:24 pm »
I believe, I don't know, the reason that water is put into batterys is to hold the sulphuric acid. The reason it's pure or distilled is so that non conducting calcium salts don't deposit on the plates.

Where does this idea come from that de ionised water doesn't conduct electricity?