Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sir Squeaky

Overfilling tank.
« on: April 22, 2007, 08:50:01 pm »
I spent all day getting the system in the new van today.
Not perfect, could be tighter, could be tidier, but I can work, so that'll do for this week. :)

After which I went over to Ian's to fill up with water.
Now Ian's drive is on a slope, and I filled it right to the top (accidently).
When on the flat it must have been really full.

I had to stop a bit sharp when a cyclist appeared from nowhere.
There was a bit of a "thump".
I thought the tank had shifted.

However, when I got back the tank hadn't moved but the van was soaked in water.

What I want to know is, does the filling lid have a pressure release valve or something? ???
It definately came from there.
There's nowhere else the water came from...

I turned the system on for a few minutes to take half inch off the top, but now I'm wary of overfilling in future.  :-\

Sir Squeaky

Re: Overfilling tank.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 10:18:24 pm »
It's annoying because I fixed all my leaks and bought a tray to put the wet brush and hose in too.

No water anywhere, then this happens.
I assume if I don't fill to the brim this won't happen?

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 10:25:00 pm »
I have my tank in my trailer,  it gets parked on a steep angle when I come home, and if there is any water left in it, the water can leak from the lid if not screwed down very tight.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 11:06:37 pm »
I've had the same day as you Roger. Fitting my tank etc in the new Van (2 1/2yrs old). I am shattered and still waiting for my tank to fill up.
I had to have mine sign written because I haven't got much work. I've switched from a trailer that was too heavy and I didn't like. So probably like you, I am very keen on this new departure.

I wondered about Jeff, because I thought he was getting a van, but his post has answered my question for me.

Possibly you wont or dont want to  write your van Squeaks, but if you did what would you put on it?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 11:27:31 pm »
Definately do want it signed, but can't afford it just yet.

I was hoping a few more people might have answers about the tank bursting it's water out.  ???

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 11:38:31 pm »
Sqweaks

If your lid has a red vent peice in the middle then you will have to be careful not to over fill as it will allways come out if you brake sudden, but if you like me have an all black lid with no centre peice then just screw it down tight it will save the water coming out but also will stop air getting in as you pump water out in which case you will need to drill a v.small hole in the top of the lid to compensate

Chris

Ps try these for your van signs they were very good for me

http://www.signsandshirts.co.uk/diy.html

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 11:51:55 pm »
Ah, yes it is the red centre piece.

Problem solved...don't fill it to the brim!

Cheers.

macmac

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 12:09:06 am »
My tank does the same & always has from new. not from the valve but from the screw lid itself, even when fully tightend if the tank is full it leaks as the water splashes about inside near the top. i wrap a scrim around it & wring it out now & then.

tony

tom_currie

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 06:06:56 am »
make sure the top part screwed to tank has been bedded down with silicon this will stop any leakage from under it as the water hits it .  also look at puting in extra baffle ie drainage pipe that will help stop the movement

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 07:48:20 am »
The easy way of making your tank less prone to leak through the lid is either to replace your tank lid with a non-valved one.  You will have to remember to crack it open each time otherwise your tank will implode.  Or, take some wide PVC tape and tape across the bottom of the breather and then puncture two small holes in it.  This will allow enough air in whilst working but will virtually never allow water out.