Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

macmac

Marine Ply?
« on: April 21, 2007, 12:02:37 am »
just seen a diy program on tv & they were making a shower tray base (or something) out of marine ply. a water proof adhesive is used to bond the ply layers together so water cannot seep through it. it got me thinking about lining the van with it as its only done in normal ply at the mo'. has anyone used this material to line their van for wfp??

tony

Londoner

Re: Marine Ply?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 08:06:20 am »
I think ordinary ply is good enough. In the old days ordinary ply would de-laminate if it got wet but those days are long gone.

macmac

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:30:39 pm »
the idea would be to stop any water going through to the van floor though vince.

tony

paul saunders

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 05:28:34 pm »
Marine ply is VERY expensive, modern external ply is made with water resistant glue. ;)
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

matt

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 06:32:43 pm »
external ply is ok in damp conditions, BUT marine ply is made to be wet all the time ( hulls of small boats etc etc )

i know what i would choose

to to be fair, if i was thinking about a van being protected, i would rip the ply out and use protectakote 

paul saunders

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 08:49:16 pm »
Yeah, but he's only lining a van ................. not building a boat.  ;D

In my opinion WBP ply is more than able to do the job. ;)
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

matt

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 09:54:06 pm »
Yeah, but he's only lining a van ................. not building a boat.  ;D

In my opinion WBP ply is more than able to do the job. ;)

my thoughts on it are, if your going to have set floors then WMP ply will not last that long, but then again, as i said, i would go with protectakote instead of ply

though another option if you have the time, leave your existing ply down and coat with fibreglass ( the floor will need the fibreglass stranded matting down, and 12" up the sides of just the paint, now that would last forever and look great