Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

matt

just got asked to price up a job
« on: April 20, 2007, 11:19:06 am »
its a rather big house, i thought, this will take a hour or 2

then she says "can you do the swimming pool" i ask how big it is, 25 M with glass all the way around and a glass roof  :o :o :o

Ok i say, i will give you a price

thats inside and out she says

Oh, ok, i will price it up on monday

no need she says, whatever it costs will be ok  ::) ::)

i allways feel a little uneasy when they say that, as they might be expecting it done for peanuts, which i dont do

JM123

Re: just got asked to price up a job
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:57:30 am »
what I do in this situation is to give them a ballpark figure for each section - for example I say

'roughly the house itself will be around £40, the ground windows of the swimming pool are going to be about £25 for the outside and £40 for the inside.  As for the roof of the swimming pool its going to be a lot more than that, it takes a lot longer to do and is physically exhausting, really the best I could do it for would be £200 but if you want everything done together I could do the lot for £270.  You won't need the roof done everytime, nor the insides so on a monthly basis its only going to be £65 then have the rest done every 6 months'

This way it breaks it down for the customer so they have a choice of getting different areas done on a different timescale - works for me.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

chrismroberts

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 12:20:32 pm »
Well... if they can afford a 25m swimming pool......  ;)

matt

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 12:55:53 pm »

my exact thoughts :) imn allready thinking of a new "rich tax" price band, might even call it " super rich tax" :) a bit of a joke that, im sure Tosh will appreciate it

xxmattyxx

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 04:55:18 pm »

Doenst by any means mean they like to part with it.

Recently I picked up a really nice new one, the whole place they own has to be worth millions, its own stables, acres of land, wildlife pond the size of our local village pond; must be 3 million, possibly more, she tried knocking me down in price though.

The well- off ones are more often the tightest.

aztec

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 04:58:45 pm »
do it for an hourly rate for the first clean mate (say £30.00 an hour) see how long it takes and go from there, if they are that well off put your hourly rate up or give a set price next time

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 05:38:30 pm »

Doenst by any means mean they like to part with it.

Recently I picked up a really nice new one, the whole place they own has to be worth millions, its own stables, acres of land, wildlife pond the size of our local village pond; must be 3 million, possibly more, she tried knocking me down in price though.

The well- off ones are more often the tightest.

I can do better that that.  The person who was probably the richest customer I've ever had, bumped me for some of the money (£70).
A few weeks ago I heard he got taken for millions though (about a year after he bumped me).  Made my day I'm afraid.  I know it may not be nice to enjoy hearing such a thing, but enjoy it I did.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 06:07:23 pm »
Never ever do a job like that on an hourly rate,you need to over price if anything and if you get it done a lot quicker than you thought then you can come down a bit on the second clean.That way she`ll think your doing her a favour and your still getting what you want for cleaning it.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 06:09:28 pm »

my exact thoughts :) imn allready thinking of a new "rich tax" price band, might even call it " super rich tax" :) a bit of a joke that, im sure Tosh will appreciate it

Why not call it the Robin Hood Tax?

brightnclean

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 07:44:29 pm »
I would go for broke on this one. Price very high because I bet she wants a one off done. I always find there is more work on these types of places than I bargain for. I,ve heard the "Just do it" line a few times and without fail they moan about the price.

Hey.  Aren,t there some examples of double standards in this thread?  Talk of rich and super rich tax etc from individuals who seem to gripe a lot about being ripped off by the suppliers.  ???

matt

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 07:46:56 pm »

Why not call it the Robin Hood Tax?

good idea :)

matt

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 07:49:38 pm »

Hey.  Aren,t there some examples of double standards in this thread?  Talk of rich and super rich tax etc from individuals who seem to gripe a lot about being ripped off by the suppliers.  ???

i never gripe about being ripped off by them, as im never ripped off by them, as i dont use them, fairly simple really

we all have options, i choose not to buy from suppliers who i feel are charging "silly money" for things that are available for less elsewhere

the lady will also have the choice, she can pay me, or find some1 who is cheaper

simple enough for you

dai

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 09:03:35 pm »
Matt, If you take this one on do a thorough check for any pre-existing damage first.
I did a block of luxury flats last week. One of the owners phoned to say I had scratched her glass french windows on the first floor. No way, they had not been done since last October and were filthy, right on the west facing beach too. The Scotches only showed up when the glass was cleaned.
Lucky for me, the scratches are behind diagonal sloping bars,  the scratches are 20ins long and vertical. It was totally impossible to make a continuous 20 inch vertical line, I could only clean them a bit at a time in diagonal movements. Some do try it on. Dai

tacky

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 11:11:40 pm »
as said above on a job like this better to overprice on first clean  if u feel guilty after lower price next time   not a lot of course

Pat Purcell

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 12:05:17 am »
Matt, for something like that if you think you can get it done in under a day then charge her your best daily rate as you probably won't feel up for much else that day, If you think its more than a day charge her for 2 days and take your time,
Maybe the next time you get it done in a day drop her price to day and a half rate everybodys happy
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland