Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Golding

has anyone seen these ??
« on: April 17, 2007, 07:35:57 pm »
http://www.carbonized.nl/subpage.html

. . the water goes up the middle of the pole so no hose. Seems like a good idea and they seem very light ?? . . Not sure if they're available here though

Alistair@AWC

Re: has anyone seen these ??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 07:50:13 pm »
Looks very good  ;D

Especially the polekeeper what a brilliant idea

Alistair

Ian Rochester

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 07:50:32 pm »
Looks like an Unger pole to me!

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 07:54:07 pm »
I think they are unger poles, but don't forget to add the weight of the water in the pole guy's.

Paul Golding

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 07:58:58 pm »
that's true.

I'm gonna go for a superlite pole anyway I think, just saw these and thought it was a good idea to have the water going up the middle even though it's modular.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 10:29:02 pm »
I emailed these guys for a price list and that Polekeeper thingy is £168.30

Buy one of these and a standard Universal Pole and it'll feel like your using the lightest Carbon fibre pole  ;D

marc

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 08:56:18 am »
so has any one got one of these poles and would they recomend them ?

Philip Hanson

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 04:38:31 pm »
I have used this "carbonized" pole,

It is a sectional pole that has screw-together sections, with the water pipe enclosed inside each section, running up through the centre.  Each joint is water-tight.  Its made from carbon fibre, with kevlar strands for added durability.

My verdict is this; it is a little narrower and very slightly lighter than the unger sectional pole (which I also have used).  As for stiffness, it is about the same as most poles available.

When extended at 45ft, it is stiffer than the universal carbon fibre pole, alomost the same as the 45 ft facelift, but not as stiff as the original ergolite or the new e2.

It is sold in the UK under the name "DiamondBak" by Pure2o.
(http://www.pure2o.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=32_58)

Would I recommend it?  Well...

I have a real problem with sectional poles, in that I have tried most of them and even with the most open mind about them, I just cant see any advantage over a telescopic pole at all.

I used the Diamondbak sectional pole, the unger sectional pole and a 45ft carbon telescopic pole to do the same job as a test, and using the sectional poles was a complete pain.

One thing I hated about both the Unger pole and the Diamondbak is trying to hold the pole upright against the building with one hand while adding or removing sections with the other.  Remember these sections screw on, and doing so while it is extended is no easy task.

I have tried to imagine a situation where a sectional pole would work out well, and the only thing I could come up with was if you had a commercial building where there was a long run of windows all at one height.  Enough of a run to take at least a couple of hours. But even then, I reckon I would still be quicker with a telescopic pole, and not by just a bit.  For domestic work, my opinion is just forget sectional poles.  The time taken in setting them up and adjusting them is just too much.  I honestly believe that you'd be quicker with ladders than with a sectional pole.

Another problem with these is lagging the sections around.  Thats a real a pain, and if you've used Ungers golf bag thing you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. 

Its almost too heavy to lift on its own, and can you imagine wheeling that around a customer's house?  Its just not practical.  Compare that to lifting a telescopic pole of the rack and toddling off with it over your shoulder and there's just no competition.

Now, if sectional poles were loads cheaper than telescopic poles, then I would perhaps understand the attraction.  If there were no telescopic poles at all, and this was the only tool that would be fine.

But quite honestly, they are more expensive and much more difficult and time consuming to use.

The unger carbon tec pole kit, which when assembled will make a pole of 50 ft costs £1,575.  Assemble 9 of the sections to make a 45 ft pole, and it weighs a whopping 7.2 kg.  Original ergo is only 5.3kg.  Those extra kilograms are largely because of the metal joints between the sections.

The tap connector section on its own weighs about a kilo.

And these arent just weights I have found in the fluff they send, I actually weighed them myself.

To make a 45 foot DiamondBak pole would cost around £1020 plus any fittings you'd need.  You can buy a 44ft facelift (which is in my opinion, a very good pole) for only £794.  Or an original ergolite 45ft for £821

So, my final verdict is... I just don't see the point of sectional poles.  The Carbonized (or DiamondBak) pole is probably just about as good as other similar poles ie the Unger, but I could never with my hand on my heart recommend this or any other sectional pole to anyone

The ones I've tried are way more expensive, heavier, and much more awkward to use and most annoyingly, slower than telescopics.  What's the point??  I just don't get it. 

I know that a great deal of that is down to personal preference, but I'm afraid I just don't see the point.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton