Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

misterrartois

greenhouse cleaning
« on: January 08, 2007, 02:58:22 pm »
Hi all

I have been asked to clean a rather substantially sized Greenhouse.Roof ,everything.
 They asked me to pressure wash it,but im not so sure?The glass is quite fragile.I was thinking more along the lines of soaking it..lambs wooling it all over..hosing off??

Anybody with any experience in this field can possibly help me??

Thanks and regards to all...happy new year!

WavieDavie

Re: greenhouse cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 03:28:03 pm »
Check out previous posts on conservatory cleaning, but I'd be wary about using the TFR - traffic film remover because of the plants.

And be conscious of how the greenhouse panes are connected - sometimes they overlap (like roof-tiles) to give an air gap which will be a real sod to clean the in-between bits.

Have fun!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

gmccleaning

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:33:08 pm »
davie ,what part of edinburgh do u clean was up there sat/sun

george

WavieDavie

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 03:39:40 pm »
All over the city George,  but on Saturdays and Sundays the van's parked outside the house!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 05:03:38 pm »
Hi all

I have been asked to clean a rather substantially sized Greenhouse.Roof ,everything.
 They asked me to pressure wash it,but im not so sure?The glass is quite fragile.I was thinking more along the lines of soaking it..lambs wooling it all over..hosing off??

Anybody with any experience in this field can possibly help me??

Thanks and regards to all...happy new year!

From past experience its more hassle than its worth!
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

misterrartois

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 11:15:35 pm »
Hi Trevor

I was thinking much the same thing..but this is a lovely old couple who i have done work for for years and really dont want to let them down.

What to do   what to do! ???

Trevor Knight

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 07:31:50 am »
I would just be honest with them.

Explain all the reasons why this job would be so much hassle and that to do the job would cost them a fortune. Ask if they have any young nephew's, grandchildren etc.. they could get to do it one weekend.

I know they are a lovely couple an all that but if your doing the job for less money than if you were cleaning other peoples windows, well who's laughing at who??

Sometimes you just have to be tough on yourself.

If all else fails why not offer to do the work when you have time or if it rains?

Decisions, decisions  ;D
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

marc al

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 05:44:27 pm »
  I did one once for a customer, a bloody great big thing, the panes of glass are very thin and fragile, and they also are not that well fixed, I used a wfp and struggled.

If I was you I would stay well clear.

Marc

mogy

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 05:57:24 pm »
Hi Lee  how did   you get on  with the greenhouse clean earlier in the year ? Ive  just  given a quote  on one and returned to see how  best to do
 Any one else any usefull sugestions gratefully recieved , on one  green alge  covered greenhouse  (im trad, so no poles)
  Thanks  Mogy

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:16:18 pm »
Sometimes, when you get a 'Mission Impossible' task, you have to manage your customers expectations by telling them the problems you face and just tell them that you'll do a 'best effort'.

I've even given two different prices for awkward jobs; one high price for a top notch job and a lower one for a lesser job.

wightsurf

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 10:18:52 pm »
Hi
I have cleaned more glasshouses than i would like to admit to inside and out, we had to move away from acid because Tesco didn't like it . :oThe green thing,so we went to jet five more green ::). anyway don't need a jet washer just a hard flow of water start at the top with the jet five and work down,then rinse with fresh water don't have to be ro-di.

TVCS

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 10:59:16 pm »
I turned one down recently.  Did a conservatory clean for a 90 + year old chap.  Nicest old fella you could hope to meet but his greenhouse was more of a glass jigsaw :o  I think about 70% of the glass was cracked or chipped.  The whole thing looked in a bad way. 
I told him straight that I didny want to touch it.  Fair enough was his response.
Did another one a while ago.  Used a weak TFR solution and a very gentle brushing and hosed it off.  It did look really good at the end of the job.  It was empty at the time so I don't know about TFR and Plants.  I try and get out of doing them as they are generally a bit fragile.
Ant
TVCS
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)