Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ivesons mobile cleaners

are ladders still legal
« on: March 19, 2007, 12:37:21 pm »
hi
i am looking to start window cleaning next june with a wfp van, but i was looking at building up some customers part time whilst doing a full time job, would i be able to use ladders as i am only doing houses first floor and ground floor
regards paul ;D

Pj

Re: are ladders still legal
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 01:13:38 pm »
Ladders will never be "illegal", unless you sharpen the ends and use them as an offensive weapon ;D

However the WAHD (working at heights directive) is a regulation that will gain more force in time.  We are in a period of grace at the moment with the HSE (health and safety executive), but as time goes by stricter enforcement will come.  At the moment the regulation is in place, you are required on any construction site or commercial site to provide a reasonable explanation as to why you are not able to use an alternative to ladders.  It applies in principle to residential areas too, but isn't being enforced strictly, time will come though.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:42:10 pm »
If you buy a set of 6m/18ft ladders (that will do most houses) then you'll be fine providing that you use them properly.  I would think seriously about going wfp sooner though as to use wfp on windows that have been done trad is a pain in the neck.  Also you might as well get all your customers used to wfp rather than trad if thats the way you are going.

Simon

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 01:53:57 pm »
Ladders are fine, in fact I think it is the best way to go, at least to begin with.

There are safety issues with them of course, and they are increasing all the time, ladder work of any description is slowly being marginalised.

But from a window cleaning perspective I think you are way better learning the tradition style of window cleaning first, build up your round, hone your skills, get your price structure right and so on.

Even WFP, you will still need trad skills, all WFP does is remove ladders from the equation (mostly)

Once you have aquired some decent, basic trad skills, then is the best time to look to move up to WFP.

If you've not worked off ladders before, get some training by someone who has, and understands safe practice.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 04:44:30 pm »
hi
i am looking to start window cleaning next june with a wfp van, but i was looking at building up some customers part time whilst doing a full time job, would i be able to use ladders as i am only doing houses first floor and ground floor
regards paul ;D

You will get a number ofd different answers on this because the wording of some parts of the legislation is a bit woolly.  My answer would be that ladders are legal to use but the circumstances in which they may be used are more restricted than they were before April 2005.  Also, when their use is permitted, the way in which they may be used is more strictly controlled (but only if they catch you).  Sorry I can't be more specific than that but, to be honest, I'm not totally clear on it myself.  I just make sure that if I need to use a ladder, I would be able to justify to an HSE inspector that the main alternative (WFP). would be impractical for that particular window.

poleman

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 05:06:51 pm »
The use of ladders is still very much up in the air for window cleaning at the moment because of the European Commission’s legal action against the Governments implementation of Dirctive 89/391/EEC (WAHR) over SFAIRP principle (so far as is reasonably practicable)

Andy

Biscute

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 05:38:32 pm »
Ladders will never be "illegal", unless you sharpen the ends and use them as an offensive weapon ;D

I like it
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 07:42:57 pm »
Paul,

Take a look at this HSE link.  I find them very helpfull
http://www.hse.gov.uk/falls/ladders.htm

David
Not Perfect - But Honest