Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NBwcs

RO only producing about 1/3 of what it should do
« on: March 11, 2007, 08:52:40 pm »
Ive just bought a freedom trolly and tried out the ro for the 1st time day. Followed all the instuctions, flushed it for 2 hrs before putting it through the di etc, but the amount of pure water coming through is woefull. In the first hour, Ive managed to collect 3inches in the bottom of a 25l barrel. At that rate,it will take 6hrs to produce 25L or 1ooL per 24hr instead of 300L which is what its supposed to do. Also,the rate of waste to pure water is very high. The tds of the pure is 0,the tds of the waste is 385, while the tds of the tap water is about400. My water pressure seems ok as well, am I missing something obvious here?  I will of course ring Andrew in the morning, whom im sure will be very helpfull but its bugging me, (new toy and all that) and wondered if anyone could shed any light. Its a 100 unit by the way. Cheers Nick

Re: RO only producing about 1/3 of what it should do
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 09:21:34 pm »
For starters your TDS readings can't be right.
The waste water will always be higher than the origional tap water because it contains a more concentrated amount of waste products. Inother words if your tap water is 400 then the waste can't be lower than that.
There is the possibility (not sure of your system) but have you got the 'flush' valve (if it has one) turned to the right direction.

brightnclean

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 09:34:55 pm »
The answer is low water pressure ir your flush valve like Niel says is in the wrong position (If you have one) Its easy enough to check. Most flush valves turn through 90 degrees. The position with the least waste coming out is the correct one for producing water. If the pressure is low or flush set wrong then you could get waste reading lower than tap because its not operating as it should with enough water going through the membrane. I have the 300GPD Freedom RO and it works very well for me. The flush valve if yours has one should not be set in the "flow" position. Thats the position for flushing.

NBwcs

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 10:36:55 pm »
Ive changed the position of the valve and will take tds readings in a few mins. I had the valve on flow as i presumed it had to be,nothing in the insructions about it being "off".Doesnt seem to have made any difference to the output of pure yet but i'll give it time to adjust,certainly slowed down the waste. Cheers 

NBwcs

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 10:51:06 pm »
TDS of waste now 500,does that sound reasonable? Still no faster on the pure though. Thanks for the advise lads.
The hose from my outside tap is temporarily going through the garage window which is higher than the tap so this may be affecting pressure.

marc al

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 01:57:28 pm »
  Nick

If you are still having problems give me a call and I will pop round to have a look at it to see if I can spot anything wrong - I will be out tonight (monday) but will be around Spalding tuesday.

07747 624097

Marc

NBwcs

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 11:37:59 pm »
Cheers Marc, I had a word with Andrew at Freedom and says give it 3 days as the membranes may need time to bed in so to speak but looks like water pressure is likely favorite. Im having it checked tomorrow. I,ll probably be in touch. Thanks Mate.

marc al

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 03:41:28 pm »
  Nick

Do you live in the clay lake area? I live on Windsor Drive and the water pressure is only about 25 psi, I have to run a booster pump on my RO, Lee also runs one on his out at Spalding Common.

Marc

NBwcs

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 09:23:38 pm »
Cradge Bank, same side of town so that explains it. The pressure is nearly 2 bar which is about 29psi. Not sure what the operating psi required is for my ro, the plumber who took the reading reckons 2 bar is fine,definately not low.Anglian Water have to guarentee a certain pressure or else they have to compensate you,I,ll give them a ring.
 I didnt recognise you today without the van. Im terrible like that, i dont recognise a lot of my customers unless i see them in their own enviroment. Its my age I think. Cheers Nick

brightnclean

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 09:30:59 pm »
29 PSI isnt anywhere near enough to operate any RO properly.

2 bar may be enough for running taps and boilers but it's still very low. Mine is about  55PSI which worked the RO OK but I still put a booster pump on it to get max performance.

Bazzy1999

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 09:36:47 pm »
29 psi is very low for any RO unit.... you need a booster pump me thinks..

Bazz...

007 or what

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 09:36:56 pm »
I rekon its your name i have the same problem.

Nick.
nick

NBwcs

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 09:40:27 pm »
Anglian Water only have to deliver 1 bar for domestic property which is just under 15psi (I can pee more than that!). Best be getting a pump then.

Bazzy1999

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 09:52:50 pm »
Im with Anglian Water and my tap is 90psi....  ;D