Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

johnm

Re: My Fishing superlight thingy..
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 10:07:12 am »
how much was your pole

macmac

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 12:57:37 pm »
please dont take this the wrong way, looks like you've done a great job but wouldn't a 24ft carbon facelift (or equivalent) be far better for your domestic work. I can see the bennefit of a super-lite modular pole for work above say, 45ft but for domestic work around the 16 to 24ft height i can see only a hinderence from a modular pole.also the base section looks realy fat (but that could just be the photo). 90% of downstairs windows can also be done with the 24ft facelift when all sections are back in. I can only see a financial bennefit from what you have done, which to me is false economy.
as said, this is not an attemp to put the pole down but more an honest/curious enquiry. :)

tony

Count Phil

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 01:37:10 pm »
I know, what you mean but it actually works really well. The usual way I keep it for domestic is at 16ft. It always seems to be the correct length and you end up leaving it up all the time. It may be better to have a 24ft carbon, yes. But this is cheaper, works well, is lighter and seems quicker than a telescopic cos you don't have to put it up and down all the time.

The base section looks fat in the photo but is thinner than telecopic base sections. Plus, it stops at that thickness, all the other sections are the same thickness. That was a concern to me because my 30ft telescopic is hard to hold because the sections are so wide.

By the way, it looks loads more proffessional than most off the shelf pole. Someone said it looked really high tech when they saw me putting it together..

It cost 150 but can be purchased for less on-line. It goes to 27.5 ft. My 30ft telescopic glass fibre cost  180. So false economy?

macmac

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 01:53:40 pm »
thanks p bowen
150 is cheap for a carbon pole, as long as it works well for you thats all that counts i suppose. :)

tony

martindrz400

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 04:37:28 pm »
did the same thing but why didnt you put the hose inside the pole

MLS

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 05:09:35 pm »
With the cost of a genuine reach and wash pole being pretty cheap why do all these people bother with these home made jobbies???

It doesn't look professional and probably wont last as long as the real thing.

If you can't afford to invest in proper cleaning gear you need more clients, or stick to using a mop and squeegie.

Just my opinion!!
We know we're the best, you know we're the best, I guess we can't both be wrong!!!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 05:52:05 pm »
With the cost of a genuine reach and wash pole being pretty cheap why do all these people bother with these home made jobbies???

If you can't afford to invest in proper cleaning gear you need more clients, or stick to using a mop and squeegie.

Just my opinion!!

The fishing pole solution is lighter for any given height. The higher the job the easier it is in comparison. It look no more or less professional than any other pole. (As Squeaky says - its a brush on a stick!) The manufacturers are just beginning to produce modular (fishing pole) technology and those who have a bit of DIY skill can tailor them to their rounds and needs at a fraction of the cost. They are much better over conservatories as well as at height. (IMO)

It's a trade off between setting up and weight so I use a "normal" 12ft residential pole
and have a fishing pole type which I can use too for jobs up to 34ft. I can buy/add sections as I need them.

If it means a quicker/easier/cheaper way of doing things - why not?
It's a game of three halves!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 07:24:43 pm »
did the same thing but why didnt you put the hose inside the pole

I imagine it was because of the versatility of having the hose outside of the pole, it means you only need use the sections you want to use.
On a telescopic pole you have the choice don't you? But on a modular pole you have to have the hose on the outside, otherwise how on earth could you use it ???

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

john tomkins

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 07:50:13 pm »

Just my opinion!!

Nice 1st post.
Nothing like running folks down to make yourself popular ::)

macmac

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 11:17:58 pm »
nothing wrong with his post, he's being honest & he did state IMO, & i have to say a big part of me agrees with him but PLEEEEEAAAASE dont kick me out of your click for saying that :o :o :o :o

tony

JM123

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 11:23:37 pm »
Its another Ionics employee ranting away - they do this all the time.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

AuRavelling79

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 11:25:54 pm »

Agreed JM123!
It's a game of three halves!

matt

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 11:49:03 pm »

what happened to that guy a few weeks back, i went on holidays, did he return to face the music OR did he just fade away ?? ?? ?

Count Phil

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 10:11:27 am »
Sorry, I just thought making it yourself would be cheaper, like the whole diy system. It didn't take long to make, works well, and looks better than the bright yellow ionics poles any day of the week. It also looks better than the snot green poles and bright red ones. They all look cheap and plastic next to this. You can just about see a snot green one in one of the photo's. Who is going to say that looks better? P.s I've never had a pole last much more than a year. The clamps don't last six months before they play up, sometimes not even that. Why should I think than off the shelf carbon poles are any better? The clamps on my fishing pole certainly won't wear out cos there aren't any.
By the way, I can use whatever brush I want. Yeah I could use a frayed  rough looking ionics brush (it takes that appearence after about a week) but tesco value are better quality. And that's saying something. It's saying ionics are rip-off merchants.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 10:23:17 am »
Good on ya for doing your own pole dude, more power to your elbow I say ;)

Mine is a Gardinders one, it does have advantages over your own, namely a stronger top section (done as a colaboration between gardiners and the pole manufacturers), and like your own it has no moving parts and no clamps to wear out, they have also worked out a method for ensuring the sections don't 'stick' or settle too deeply.

My old pole has lasted me three years, it's one of the cheap Unger aluminium poles, the little green bits wear forever wearing out >:( But it did its job and it's still there as backup if I need it ;)

If money is tight then going the DIY route makes perfect sense, if I was strapped for cash, or even if I just fancied the idea of making my own up, I'd do just the same as you...

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 01:34:24 pm »
Thats a very  honest reply Ian,
Now we are progressing. Pretty sure most of you know my thoughts ?

Count Phil

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 03:49:27 pm »
My actual intention was to buy one from gardiners because I'm generaly a bit of a botcher with DIY. But I went to a local tackle shop just on a whim to see how light they are (fishing poles). I came out with one ten minutes later. The alterations worked well and I'm well pleased, plus I saved several hundred pounds which may buy me a backpack if I fancy one enough.

matt

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 04:01:28 pm »

what happened to that guy a few weeks back, i went on holidays, did he return to face the music OR did he just fade away ?? ?? ?

ive come home expecting a reply :( but nothing

so what did happen to the guy ?? ?? i guess he is now a millionaire living on some tropical isle, all ont he strenght of h"his" ionics system, all in the space of 3 months aswell, impressive

seriously, did he return

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 06:02:58 pm »
No