Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

darrenk1q

No wfp or ladder.. New
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:30:44 pm »

Pat Purcell

Re: No wfp or ladder..
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 07:42:23 pm »
darren, it takes a long time to get good at using a pole even when you wash windows every day and house windows are the most difficult to pole
How come you want to start this way
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »
Not really.

How are you going to squeegee a narrow opening light window on a 15ft pole?
You won't do it.
Then how are you going to mop up the water or detail the edges with your scrim?

Try and get yourself as many bungalows as you can.
Even when you've got a ladder you'll love them.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:16:48 pm »
No, not for domestic anyway, you might get away with a pole for a lot of commercial, but for domestic you will leave too many streaks and runs.

Biscute

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 08:59:51 pm »
Were are you from? go on the dole wait a few months, then they will help you start as you will be many months out of pocket doing it with nothink and no houses
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

tacky

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 10:54:44 pm »
if u ar serious look out for window cleaners in r area their are some with work to off load might not b a lot but it will get u started ask an u might pick up some old  quipment   icluding ladders prob want new rubbers on feet  but that is how most of us started   

matt

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 11:06:22 pm »
start off WFP with a battery backpack and a cheap aluminum pole and tesco's brush converted

buy a small RO / DI unit and away you go

must be about 300 quid spent

if your really short of cash

Hand-pumped backpack -- 30 quid
Small RO unit -- 70 quid
Cheap cleantech pole -- 25 quid
tesco's brush and jets -- 10 quid
a few bits / hose etc etc -- 15 quid
water containers & butt -- 50 quid

total spend 200 quid, its hard work using the handpumped backpack, ive done it, but it can be done ( i still use mine for the occasional house with axx issues )

Ian_Giles

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 06:04:31 am »
if you can't afford WFP at present, then get yourself a set of ladders, as a newbie you will never make a go of it with extension poles and traditional window cleaning.
Pole work on standard windows upstairs can be done, but it takes real skill, you will make a real mess of the windows if you attempt it.
Ladders are NOT illegal  yet! The majority of window cleaners work off ladders, you have to know how to use them and understand the Health & Safety regs, but you really can't start window cleaning without them.

Shops you can almost forget, they are the hardest fought over work around, particularly if you are a complete newbie, if you can get enough bungalows then you can at least get underway, but you will still need a pointer ladder.

Work beckons...gotta go ;)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Biscute

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 08:18:13 am »
Yer m8 they will, i also think they give you payments for the first few months of working to best to go down and ask them about more info they will be able to help you more.
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Roy Harding

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 04:58:24 pm »
What area of South wales?

Roy

Roy Harding

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 05:03:44 pm »
I know a lot of window cleanners, I did have a window cleaner from Swansea ring me a while back and he had had a fall and was strugling. I will see if I still have his number and will let you know tonight.

Roy

matt

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 08:31:33 pm »
Thanks Matt, I won't be able to do it yet, but i'll look into it.
#

your welcome

as i said, 200 quid isnt much ( a good boys night out ) and it will get your started in a good way, you will knock all day at bungalows and shops, find yourself 200 quid and get to a local estate ( im sure even swansea has new build houses, though im aware that most live in caravans ;) cardiff city fan here ;))

i was going to add after the "a good boys night out" bit about not in swansea, as you only need a bit of sticky sticky for a night out ;) classic quote that un :) ( im sure you kow the film ;)) but i thought on it and decided to add it as a little joke here

matt

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 09:16:26 pm »
"Insurance for Fatty's leg like"

top films, allways makes me laugh :)

<----- email me for a link to the DIY site

its got a forum and that will have most DIY answers for those DIY questions

rosskesava

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 10:24:27 pm »
It's just a numbers game.

Call on enough houses and leaflet enough places and you will get the work.

The idea about going on a scheme while on benifit is a good one as it'll take a while to get used to it all. Cleaning windows off a ladder can be a bit daunting at first so don't under estimate either how long a place may take or how there is a tendancy at first to under price jobs.

Matt's website is excellant.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 11:57:54 pm »
When I started up I was on New deal for self employed/ lone parent, you need to be on unemployment benefit or income support for a while first though. I had 6 months test trading where you keep all your benefits and any money you make is put into the bank you are only allowed to take money out for legit buisness expences equiptment ect, by the time I had finished test trading I had all the stuff for wfp and point ladders should I need them, they also make the changeover onto tax credits very simple.
I noticed that you went out at 9am knocking and was home at 4.30, most poeple are at work at that time, try going out at 4.30 and knocking untill 9pm you may disturb them at teatime but it works.           
Sussex by the sea

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 09:02:28 am »
Hi
  Why not go out several evenings and get a few customers and then arrange to do them in say a weeks time on a set day.  It just doesn't sound too professional to ask if they need a window cleaner and then clean the windows straight away.  The customer might wonder who you are and if you'll ever turn up again.  You may not get loads to start with but if you stick it out they will come, the best customers are referrals as well and these you'll get if you stick it out.
  You can get by on bungalows, I'm wfp now but bungalows consist about 60% of my work and are a lot easier to get than shops, and better paying.

Simon