Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

captain lard

Leadwork repair question
« on: February 21, 2007, 10:25:26 pm »
Hi folks
I was scrimming some glass on a upvc door that has/had some decorative leadwork framing flowers and leaves on the glass. Unfortunately my cloth caught a raised edge and ripped of two pieces of lead that framed a leaf.
I told the customer about it but am now trying to find out if such damage can be repaired - any ideas/experience of this?

After looking closely at the glass/lead I realised the leadwork on this particular door looked a bit flimsy compared to some and saw that there were raised edges all over the points of the lead detail, having said that it was my fault because I did not pay enough attention.

AuRavelling79

Re: Leadwork repair question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 10:31:16 pm »
Hi Capt Lard (Or is that TTH?)

Have you actually got the lead pieces? If so you could probably glue them back in place.

If the leadwork was flimsy and "raised" then it was not totally your fault at all. So only glue them back as a goodwill gesture.
It's a game of three halves!

captain lard

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 10:46:38 pm »
Hi mate, yes it is TTH in the 'other place.'

The pieces are still in existence but they ended up in my scrim very crumpled, I straightened them out but they do not look 'pristine', they are curvy bits as well and look sort of corrugated now.. To be honest I dont think the lady would have noticed the damage but I couldnt not own up. This particular leadwork is poor quality compared to a lot of doors I have cleaned but I am annoyed at myself for dropping a b****ck.
I could glue them back in but they look a bit naff now.

Good idea tho mate.

Andy@w.c.s

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:55:30 pm »
just athought captian lard
why not try going in to your local double glazing shop and asking if they have a small bit of that sticky lead
 they will probable have some and give you it for free
then you can do the repair

Andy

trevor perry

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 10:05:43 am »
they sell this lead in strips that are self adhesive but it comes in different widths so make sure you measure it and get correct width
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

captain lard

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 06:44:35 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions lads, I will look into them and see what can be done.

craig1

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 07:34:22 pm »
 glue is a good guess but dont do it its shoddy the best way is to solder it like 4 like you know maybe a tab soldered to the back of the existing then you have more to work with rember solder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
labor omnia vincet

captain lard

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 08:09:40 pm »
Oh heck! Soldering.

Think you have a point there mind.

craig1

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 05:59:05 pm »
what regiment mate im ex pioneer and green jacket
labor omnia vincet

captain lard

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 06:11:36 pm »
The 'To the regiment' sig line is a reference to a line in a comedy programme called 'Early Doors' mate, so I have to admit I havent been in the forces. When I was younger it never occurred to me to join up. Having said that it did occur to me a couple of years ago that it might not have been a bad idea in some ways. Mainly just to see if I could have made the grade, for the same reason always wished I had taken up boxing.
I did take up rugby and that was a good decision.

Did you enjoy your time in the army craig?

craig1

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 08:34:47 pm »
  best thing i could ever have done mate although memories are often seen rose tinted boxing in the army was good yes i did and mate i often think rugby would have been a good option both have stood me in good stead for life and the pub !:??!   i come from bedford and train at matts local gym you should try it even just for fitness or try boxercise great cardio fort the rugby
labor omnia vincet

captain lard

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 01:27:06 am »
I am 41 now but when I began playing prop about 17 years ago there were blokes still playing in their late 40's/ early 50's and i always thought I would play as long as possible. Sadly family stuff and now a knackered knee stopped the rugby about 4 years ago. I would love to dip into boxing even just in terms of the training but fear my knee is too weak now.

craig1

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 06:23:31 pm »
 if you can stand walk and hold a short jog then your fine cardio on a bag or speed ball is fine mate you dont have to be a super athelete to enjoy yourself and find any degree of fitness for yourself
labor omnia vincet

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 07:04:08 pm »
'course - cycling's good too! ;)
It's a game of three halves!