Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jodan63

what do i use?
« on: February 02, 2007, 09:09:45 am »
having just cleaned a "new" house for its first time, i noticed there is a sticky residue on them. i assume the windows are covered in some form of protective wrapping  until installed. what can i use to remove this residue?

jodan63

Re: what do i use?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 01:37:12 pm »
hope you all know what i mean?. it is like a sticky film, where say a cover was stuck to the window. sorry if i sound a bit thick ,but its the only way i can describe it

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 01:50:02 pm »
That should have been removed on the builders clean.

Oilflow or TFR should get that off.
and a scraper.

I would charge a lot more money if you having to remove the glue from the window film.
At least double the price as you will be there a while.

Paul

windolene

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 01:53:44 pm »
Hi Jorden63,
Residue from sticky labels is the norm with new glazing. I use a stanley scraper or 0000 grade wire wool as not to scratch the glass. thier is a liquid i think called oilflow that some of the guys use instead of the before said mentioned.  

Kevin

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 06:19:20 pm »
Thankfully some of the stickers are now being applied with a water soluble glue.
If they have been left to "bake" on the glass for some time they will need oilflow -soak then hopefully peel/scrape.  . Frames are also protected with a plastic "shrink" film if its left on for too long its extremely difficult to remove in some cases I have seen the print left on the upvc.

jodan63

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 08:58:28 pm »
i suppose it could be the "plastic shrink film" any suggestions?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 10:23:14 pm »
Hot air gun to soften- watch the glass dont crack.