Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

S.A.J

I cant say No! New
« on: February 01, 2007, 09:24:46 pm »
My round has become a bit full of domestics (only got a bit of room left for new  commercial) all my work I’m happy with apart from 10% which I’m currently selling off.

Since i can no longer fit any more work in me and my dad decided to stop taking on new domestic work

This week about ten people have approached us asking "how much do you charge mate" The first couple i stuck to my guns and said to busy, But today i got feed up with saying No and said yes knowing the fact i cant fit the work in.

Life is so hard for us at the moment

Anyone else find it hard to turn new work away when your round is full?

Stuart
SAJ Window Cleaners Ltd

Re: I cant say No!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:35:59 pm »
Easy solution to this and a winner both ways.
Like you I can't say no, but when you want to go for twice the price you would normally charge.
If they say no walk away smuggly, if they say yes, walk away trying not to jump around, then find one of your lower priced pain in the backside custies you want rid of anyway.

S.A.J

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 09:47:09 pm »
 I hear what you are saying Neil But I’ve been doing what you said for the last 12 months and I’m happy with all my jobs, all are good earners.

Can’t be bothered with the employment route again, done that got the stress related t-shirt  ;D

Majestic

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 09:49:58 pm »
I am only taking on the odd ones if I clean in there street , I usually take there address and give them to another window cleaner.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 09:52:34 pm »
Can’t be bothered with the employment route again, done that got the stress related t-shirt  ;D

Know exactly what you mean. Sacked one yesterday, one called in sick last night, one got sent home at midday because he wasn't fit enough to carry on.

DASERVICES

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 11:15:30 pm »
I just give a huge price so they can say " How much, no thanks ". But the problem is they say okay. Then you begin to wish all your jobs were as good as that.

I'm working on that , given myself a pay rise of £2k this year without taking on more work  ;D ;D

steve k

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 11:26:08 pm »
Stuart...understand what you are saying but if you price really high and they say yes...you CAN fit them in somewhere...be soft not to!

david68

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 11:53:51 pm »
Hope to get where you are soon saj

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

Ladders

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 11:59:11 pm »
Stuart...understand what you are saying but if you price really high and they say yes...you CAN fit them in somewhere...be soft not to!

Steve you are right, to many people think they have an obligation to there customers.

These are the people that are keeping the prices down in our industry.
For every problem there is a solution

Londoner

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 08:18:33 am »
The problem with quoting a really high price is that the enquiry usually comes from a friend or neighbour of an existing customer who has recommended you.
They already know how much you are charging them so your scope is a bit limited.

steve k

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 09:49:27 am »
only if they live in an identical house.

KarlJones

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 01:08:01 pm »
SAJ,  I am going to put my arm chair economists hat on to answer this one...

Instead of thinking of them as customers, or potential customers, think of them as coins.

Now imagine you had a pocket to keep those coins in, all the coins were the same size but had different values, some are 5p, some are £5.  Your pocket could hold 50 coins, anymore and they would just fall out of the pocket. 

So, in your pocket you have 50 coins, your pocket is full.  But then you spot a coin for £5 on the floor.  This is much better than most of them in your pocket.  But you can not fit any more in, so you have a  few choices.

You can either walk past the £5 coin and carry on your merry way.
or
You can remove a 5p coin from your pocket and put the £5 one in.
or
You pay someone else to carry the £5 coin for you.
or
You put the £5 coin in and allow a random coin to fall out.

out of these I would say that, as you do not want to pay someone else to carry coins for you, you would be better off removing a 5p coin and putting the £5 one in.  But the choice is yours. 

If you value the 5p coin more than the £5 coin then you should start to seriously ask yourself why you are in the business of collecting coins.

likewise, in window cleaning, you should seriously ask yourself why you are turning high prices away in order to keep lower (even if they are well priced) ones.  And ask yourself is your loyalty to yourself and your familly, or your customers?

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 01:46:09 pm »
Karl, he said ten customers have asked him. Not have you got ten customers yet? ;D

As was stated above, they know what their neighbours are paying.He can't give it away(one of your coin options) because that would invite competition right into the middle of his patch.He also finds it hard to say no, and he gave his reasons.

Possibly he should institute a waiting list.Good answer anyway Karl.