Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dick

What to do?
« on: January 23, 2007, 03:48:02 pm »
I've  started January with the intention of stopping or at least cutting down on additional collecting, so I've printed a letter explaining why, cost, time etc. and that I would collect the next day as I'm in the area working, and delivered them to every account where I collected. Today a lady said she wasn't happy to leave money out for collection and wasn't concerened about making any alternative arrangement. I explained the reason why collecting was uneconomic, but she didn't seem concerned and said that if I didn't collect then perhaps not to clean the windows again.
I said I didn't want to lose her as a customer just for that reason, but then thinking about it she didn't seem too concerned about it, so why should I.
I think I know the answer, I won't bother to call again, but like others I recently seem to have lost several other customers for no apparent reason, so am reluctant to drop her at the moment.
Am I right to not bother again?

007 or what

Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 04:02:40 pm »
just get her to send a cheque and enjoy your evenings

scrimit2

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 04:08:49 pm »
Hi, I hardly ever collect for the reasons you mention, unless someone is getting out of hand, I personally dont mind waiting for my money as if I dont see one customer I see the next who may owe me for two times, and if they can't put a cheque in the post something is wrong afterall, when I take my car to the mechanic, I go back and pay him!

As for your customer, some people can be differcult, but if we did what every individual customer wanted, we would be running around every night, I say sick to your guns on your plans for collecting, afterall you made the decision for good reasons, if you are concerned about loosing her as a customer right now because you are loosing other, wait for a bit then decide what do about her.

scrimit

poleman

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 04:14:53 pm »

Count Phil

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 04:29:39 pm »
Yep. I leave an envelope with my bill. Envelope has an address on it. Cheques come to me. Don't ever collect unless they haven't paid and are going to be dropped.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 04:38:27 pm »
Today a lady said she wasn't happy to leave money out for collection and wasn't concerened about making any alternative arrangement.

Drop her!  It sounds to me like she's fed up with paying for a regular window cleaner (at least until her windows are filthy again) and you'll be 'sacked' from this job, one way or an other in the next few months.

She just hasn't got the honesty to tell you direct.

If this is the way you want to go; try it; but I'd drop this customer, unless you're short of work.

It's your business; you state your terms and conditions; and if customers wish, they may purchase your services.

Don't let the customer rule you (unless it's a big well-priced account; you've got to use some common sense here).

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 05:20:09 pm »
Well said Tosh, I used to run round after my customers, now they send a cheque, pay me on the day or dont get my overpriced service!!!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 05:36:37 pm »
I've  started January with the intention of stopping or at least cutting down on additional collecting, so I've printed a letter explaining why, cost, time etc. and that I would collect the next day as I'm in the area working, and delivered them to every account where I collected. Today a lady said she wasn't happy to leave money out for collection and wasn't concerened about making any alternative arrangement. I explained the reason why collecting was uneconomic, but she didn't seem concerned and said that if I didn't collect then perhaps not to clean the windows again.
I said I didn't want to lose her as a customer just for that reason, but then thinking about it she didn't seem too concerned about it, so why should I.
I think I know the answer, I won't bother to call again, but like others I recently seem to have lost several other customers for no apparent reason, so am reluctant to drop her at the moment.
Am I right to not bother again?

And yet another customer gets dumped into Room 101    ;D

KarlJones

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 06:27:35 pm »
Oh my, I guess I am a bit wet behind the ears.

My own thing is to try to get them to post cheques, paypal, cash outside, and last of all I ask them to phone me to arrange a collection.

Basically, for me, the thing is I want them to make some effort to pay me.  I do not mind how they do it, I just do not want the sort of customers that expect me to go chasing after them month in month out, I would rather they ran up 3 months debt and failed to pay. 

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

matt

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 08:20:57 pm »
if she cannot be bothered to send a cheque or pay online, then explain tha due to this, you will not be returning, my guess is she will accept the cheque idea and thats it

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 08:25:19 pm »
What i do....work my butt of with big big houses and flats ....give them good price that i know they will be happy wirth then it dosent matter if the small accounts don't pay for a while..cash flow the biggest thing you need in business...most business that fail do because they don't have a cash flow.....i now give the customers stamped addressed envelopes but i don't do as many as i used to as i have a lot more bigger accounts if they dont pay within 7 days drop them because someone else will want their windows cleaned and will pay you.

dai

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 09:01:24 pm »
If you are already suffering because of cancellations, believe me. Letting debts build up is a sure fire way of losing more. I have lost dozens over the years because they had to fork out for 3 months cleaning. It's all to do with location and the wealth of your customers.
I have many young customers that don't have a cheque book, so S.A.E'S are a waste of time with them. It really annoys me when you post a cleaned the windows ticket when you finish the job. Come back collecting 2 days later, and they have no money. I could do with one of those portable card reading machines.
Most of the youngsters only have plastic. Can you get one from your bank? Dai

DaveWilkinson

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 01:57:41 am »
Yeah you can take credit cards through the bank etc but it costs alot in monthly fees for it, if you have a web site and they are young and will probibly use the web set up a paypal page for customers to pay, they can use there cards then.

Dave

KarlJones

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 02:40:34 am »
Oh I think I have spotted something tasty.

Paypal have a thing called a "Virtual Terminal"  that allows you to input the card details of a customer and get paid.  The idea is you can accept "phone" payments this way.

Phone em up, ask them if they want to settle the bill, take the card details and voila.

In theory anyway.  Hope this helps.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.