Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wimbledonhandyman

Hello from a Newbie
« on: January 02, 2007, 11:59:57 am »
Hello and Happy New Year to you all,

Just thought I would come out and introduce myself “officially” as I have been lurking around in the background for a little while now.

Well I’m Steve and have been a member for a couple of months after I found what I discovered is a brilliant site with loads of information shared between you all -  I never imagined that window cleaners could be such a great bunch!

Well what brings me to such a forum? Well I found myself in life changing circumstances around this time last year after 27 years with my former employer who I had been with since leaving school. I was a building services manager and was heavily involved in major refurbishments plus managing a large technical staff base including a cleaning section, running the services to support the department – not bad from a humble beginning as a rookie apprentice on the tools but it was time to get out!

After having a well earned break from the stress of this process, I decided I would go self employed – something I had considered many times from the walls of my former cell without windows know as my office in the basement. I went back to the tools and decided to try offering a handyman service locally. It was doing this that lead me to the window cleaning thoughts as I had been asked on a few occasions did I do W/C’ing which at the time I didn’t so with seed planted I discover cleanitup on a web search. 

The more I looked at the window cleaning life the more it appealed to me. With the information I found, I decided to start in the New Year and hopefully would find a rewarding and full filling life change opportunity that allowed me the freedom I desired in the open air. Now I know it’s going to be a few cold months to start and for some that would put you off straight away but I motor cycled everyday to work come rain or shine and therefore am not afraid of what’s to come.

So now armed with the essential tools of the traditional trade, couple of new Ramsey pointers and my new Berlingo van that I bought 6 months ago, I am now going out to drum up my round. I have a few hundred leaflets already sorted and thousands more on the way (nice to have a friend with a photocopier!), its time to go on the knock so to speak. This plus a few postcards placed in key locations around my way should hopefully do it and get the phone ringing but I know it will take time to build up.

My next thoughts will be WFP but I wanted to start at the bottom rung on the ladder as I will walk before I run. I did an engineering apprenticeship so a home made system may be the way forward for me plus working where I did we had numerous RO systems for the type of work carried out so I am not a beginner in this field of water.

Well that’s me in a nutshell. So with the New Year now upon up us I just want to say thanks to you all, both past and present that have contributed to this forum. It’s made excellent reading for all the tips of the trade plus the humour from certain individuals and it’s opened my eyes to what will be a good life without walls.

Happy new year all and wish me luck

Best wishes - Steve
CARPE DIEM QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.....

DASERVICES

Re: Hello from a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 12:06:56 pm »
Steve,

Welcome have been in the same boat as you in life changing circumstances , the stress from my life long job the old body could no longer take it. This is the best move I have ever made, but the stress will never go but is a lot less.

You will have your good and bad days but my advise stick to it and after a couple of years you will wish you had done this ages ago.

Doug

Bazzy1999

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 12:31:31 pm »
The best of luck Steve......you wont look back  ;D

Bazz...

pylofm

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:34:32 pm »
I wish you well Steve for your new venture, I too have recently started....

Good luck and hope to hear of your exploits during the year.

Cheers
Dave.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 01:07:54 pm »
 ;Ddoes worry me when people say they have just come out ;D ;) :-X
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 06:09:07 pm »
Steve, Welcome my friend, hope that you have a wonderful time window cleaning and enjoy the freedom of self employment. Glad you found the site as it's a great place for info.

Best Wishes.

Shaun R.

macc

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 06:46:16 pm »
Hi.

Welcome mate.

Macc

Ian_Giles

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 07:40:29 pm »
A big welcome to you Steve, and the very best of luck in your new venture ;)

This bunch are always on hand when you have those days when the world seems to be against you, and you can always count on their support, all you have to do is make a post on here....

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 09:51:04 pm »
Hi Steve

Also, a big welcome to the forum.

Personnaly, I think you've picked the best time of year to start. I hope you've remebered to buy decent winterwear that's easy to move in?

From the way you've written, I think you'll do more than ok. Things may start slow but bit by bit, it'll all pick up.

Learning is quite good fun also.

Yup, this forum is a great place for knowledge and ideas.

Cheers

Ross

brett walker

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 10:03:11 pm »
Hi welcome

theres no problem that cant be sorted out on this forum

wether it be traditional wfp or marital  ;D theres always someone on here to sort it for you

good luck mate

Brett

wimbledonhandyman

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 12:14:58 am »
Doug – thanks for reinforcing my decision, nice to know I’m not the first along this route. Cheers for the advice, I’m already thinking I should have done it ages ago!  ;)

Bazz - thanks for your kind support, I’m sure your right  :D

Dave – cheers for that and the help you have already given me – much appreciated! Will report back when I have more news to tell  ;)

Terry – what I like about the forum is the humour too – thanks for the crack as I knew someone would – all part of the fun eh!  8)

Shaun – thanks for the welcome, I’m sure I will have wonderful times ahead my friend. Glad I found this place too – keep posting as I read loads of yours!  :D

Macc – thanks for the welcome – appreciated!  :)

Ian - cheers for your welcome and words of support – I already know what a great bunch these people are here and I’m sure I’ll be bugging them with daft questions soon….  ???

Ross – cheers for the welcome. Those were my thought too on the timing, nice to hear you think the same. I’m not one for feeling the cold but take on board your comments on work gear. Thanks for the comment on doing ok; hope your right - looking forward to it all now!   :D

Brett – thanks for the welcome. I know all problems get solved on this great forum in some shape or form in the end – what a great place eh!  ;D

Mike RH – couldn’t agree more, great people and all in good sprit too.
 ;D

cheers fellas  -  Steve

rosskesava

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 12:27:49 am »
Wow. That is some thought out reply.

Mate, you have nothing to worry about. You will do ok. It's obvious but be aware of it takes time and some sharp learning curves of the unexpected and some very lonely days when you will wonder if it's worth it.

That may not sound much but I think you get what I mean.

Cheers

wimbledonhandyman

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 12:18:43 am »
Cheers Ross - thought it only proper to respond to each as they took the trouble to post.

Thanks again for the words of support, just having your wisdom and encouragement is worth more than you think at this stage.   8)

Onwards and upwards!

Cheers - Steve  :D

supernova77

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 12:59:36 am »
Steve,

Welcome!  ;)

Are you only going to be window cleaning from now on, or are you still going to do other "handyman" jobs?

Andy

wimbledonhandyman

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 08:37:41 am »
Cheers Andy   ;)

Not sure at this stage, will keep my options open but if the WC'ing takes off - I know its going to take time to build a decent round! - I may be more selective on the handyman stuff. Part of what appeals with the WC'ing is the quickness of the job and then on to the next with minimal hassle.

That sounds so appealing if you understand where I'm coming from, as its been a right pain at times being tied down to one job for days, weeks, months with all the hassles of sorting materials etc.

Cheers - Steve  :)