Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chris@c.m.s

Re: Best place to buy a van
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 01:05:54 am »
Ross I need van as well so I'm watching to see what you choose ;D Actually no I think I'm made up on a VW ;)
Sussex by the sea

macmac

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 11:44:04 am »
no disrespect to pj but be wise in choosing the size of your van, i have a kangoo at the moment (will be buying new doblo next though) & it's the perfect size for me.400ltr tank + all the gear + my trad stuff & ladders on roof. the bigger the van the bigger the running costs. not knowing what your work is like or what your future plans are (i.e. expanding your business etc.) it's hard to call. what i suppose i'm trying to say is don't get caught in all the hype, don't buy a large van just for the sake of it, pj might earn 50k per year and use 800ltr a day- for example, where as you might earn 20k & only use 300ltr a day ( you know what i mean). if you think only of your own circumstances and be realistic you will make the right choice.
hey i'm certainley no expert on vans but IMO & with the research i have done the doblo looks pretty much hard to beat!! :)

good luck & keep us posted ;)

tony

neil100

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 05:24:35 pm »
You have to chose the van thats right for you.

For wfp the question is how big a tank do you want to put in? Work the weights out and if the van can handle that payload thats fine.

Ross dont worry about depreceation. I bought a brand new van in October 2005 for wfp. The reason I bought new was simple, Brand new engine, 3 year warranty and if I look after it a long life from my van.

I bought a Fiat Ducato, Dynamic version, I have ABS brakes, elec windows, Elec mirrors. Remote central locking, Fully lined bulkhead with window in. I paid about £8,200 +VAT. Fantatic van and their was no other van in the country that gave you as much value for your money.

I look at this way, My van should last me 10 yrs Max before I change. It will do 50K in that time. That means it will cost me £970 a year for ten years if its worth scrap value at the end of that time period. For the money I earn thats PEANUTS.
I dont worry about haveing to change my vehicle, Its not like changeing a car, With the van I have to plyline, Paint floor and plywood. Get someone to fix tank in. Fill the holes in the old van etc etc.

Think of image for your buisness with a new van, Reliability. I do not expect to lose a working day in three years because of the van breaking down or not starting. I have had it for 15 months and its been 100% reliable so far.

I have spent lots of money on cars before and I hardly sit in them. The van on the other hand is your vehicle to make money. Your going to spend a lot of time with it day in day out so treat yourself. Just make sure you get the right size van that suits you for work.

If you are thinking of the scudo partner size van then hang fire for a few weeks cos a brand new model is comeing out which will be better to drive and it as a better carrying load weight. On the other hand you might be able to pick up a bargin on the old model.

Nel.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 05:36:03 pm »
Ross - me here. I just got my van in November from www.vansdirect.co.uk and spoke to Paul Batterby - he's very good about explaining whether you are vat registered and if so or if not, which package to go for.

I had an old estate car until two months ago and have bought a new Fiat Doblo 1.3SX with a 730kg payload and a mvw of 2000kg - this might be important. ((Because if the mvw is over 2000kg (like the Transit connect/scudo and the Doblo 1.9)) you have certain speed restrictions on dual carriageways and national speed limit roads)

I've had the vehicle two months - it's the SX model with side doors (very important to me) and metal bulkhead as standard and it cost just under £600 down and 4 years monthly rentals of £179 (all inc vat) - at the end of four years I have to dispose of the vehicle for at least 2K to break even. As my mileage is low I should have no probs in that. (or I can trade in)

All the above is tax deductable.

It has a trip computer and even with my stop/start local driving I get 44mpg and on a gentle run, over 50mpg.

Because it's a 1.3 (1250 turbo actually) it is a low emissions road fund license (first year included in the price). It's quite nippy for what it is too.

It has a three year warranty/100,000 miles. (No MOT's for three years)

I am saving so much in fuel (I only do about 600 miles a month, mind) that that pays half my rental compared to my old Honda car - take into account no garage bills/MOT's/road tax - and being tax deductable then it almost pays for itself in comparison.

However - having so much more room - even with 400l on board (and with my payload you could go to about 550l and have 180Kg left over for you and other gear) I find I am working more quickly and not having to move stuff about.

Ross - I've never gone new in my life - I just wish I had done this sooner - it's not about depreciation for me (If it had been a private car, like you I would hate the idea) but about it being a business tool that does the job.

FWIW it got "van of the year" for 2006 too.

BTW - If I needed 3 seats and higher payload I would have gone scudo - even if it is mvw of 2300kg.
It's a game of three halves!

spotless2000

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 05:58:48 pm »
If you are thinking of the scudo partner size van then hang fire for a few weeks cos a brand new model is comeing out which will be better to drive and it as a better carrying load weight. On the other hand you might be able to pick up a bargin on the old model.

Just to add some more info:-

2 wheel bases & 2 roof heights plus increased payload

http://www.whatvan.co.uk/newvans_s.asp?id=4889