Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

garyfindlay

newbie advice
« on: November 26, 2006, 04:16:54 pm »
hi i am wanting to start a carpet cleaning business, and have found 2 machines locally. 1 is a extracta (orange one). don`t know model as yet. a few years old. £600...another is a prochem 2000 power +, 2 years old with new pump fitted (£220 reciept), and all manuals etc, for £1200. as for training, i live near Glasgow, so the nearest would be extracta ( i think), at Newcastle, instead of further south. is a course a course, or are some better than others. any help most appreaciated.

mark_roberts

Re: newbie advice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 05:38:14 pm »
Gary

No offence but some of us are getting tired of people coming on these baords and asking questions about machines etc and they have no training or experience to base their decisions on.  Also you need a lot more that a machine.

Do yourself a favour and read some of the previous posts and do a search on these issues as its all been gone over before.  Also get some experience of cleaning before you make the leap.

To be successful you must

Have a passion for it
Well trained
Marketing knowledge
The right equipment
Willingness for continued learning
Have a passion for it

Mark

PS. Did I mention have a passion for it as this is most important.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 06:52:09 pm »
Mark,
the forum is for people to come on and ask questions ::)

Gary,

I can only comment on the extracta machines and have found them in the past to be effective and reliable, and the guys at extracta very helpful, so I think you could do a lot worse.

saying that, many of the machines are similar and obviously knowing how to use it and clean effectively is the way to become succesful, so proper training is a wise investment if you are serious at starting a business.

regards
steve

Paul Kettless

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 07:30:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum,

Both machine are popular, and I can also only give you advice on the extracta, as I have not used a prochem.

The extracta range are good machines, and the one that I owned did the job that I wanted it to.  Training is a must, and invaluable.
Complete Cleaning "you really can tell the difference"

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:15:59 am »
I would go for the prochem as you will be able to get spares for it from prochem scotland. if required they are in glasgow.

hope this helps.
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

derikraven

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 06:13:14 am »
you should phone Brian or John at Extracta and arrange to do some of their carpet cleaning courses before you embark on your career. Speaking from experience, I would say the Extracta machines are the more reliable and better built

Derek

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 06:36:44 am »
Having used and dealt with both Extracta and Prochem machines in the past both are excellent...

I would echo a previous comment about training...that should come first... I would recommend you bite the bullet, come south and book onto an NCCA (National Carpet Cleaners Association) two day course in Leicester.

Contact the NCCA on:- 0116 2719550

Their courses are generic and will not be selling machines and products...just technical knowledge

I hope that this helps

cleantime services

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 12:43:07 pm »
We have always used Extracta machines and they are the dogs bo*llocks!!
CARPET CLEANING HIRE MACHINES FROM £15 PER DAY, INCLUDING DETERGENT ETC. DELIVERY/COLLECTION £10.

cleaning co

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 01:50:07 pm »
 :-X

david_m

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 09:58:46 pm »
hi there gary

a good place to get some chemical and free advice would be

r&b cleaning supplies in glasgow clydebank there phone no
is  01419411586

have fun,  Marks quite right about the passion for the business
with out it it makes this business very hard

davy

carpetguy

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 11:33:21 pm »
Gary

I'm in the Greater Glasgow area and could possibly help you get up and running as I 've done for others and backing out of the business, after 20 plus years.

I have an Extracta and some other items which could help you launch inexpensively and test the water, without spending a fortune.

Can also send you in the direction of inexpensive products from local supplier and advise you on the newer technologies.

0141 849 1021

rob

brucie

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 08:39:52 am »
If you buy the prochem new from a dealer look for 25% disc, bringing machine cost to about £1500.You will also get a 1 day course thrown in.