Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dave carroll

splinters off poles
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:12:30 pm »
Had a complaint today off one of my staff  >:( (the boss, the wife  :-[ ), shes getting splinters in her hands off the poles, the pole in question is an 18' extender from wintecs, anyone else had this problem? was thinking of giving it a quick blast of lacquer to seal the surface, will this work? any ideas? keep telling her to use the other pole ( gardiner) that i got her for mothers day but its heavier.

Dave

Moderator David@stives

Re: splinters off poles
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 10:20:01 pm »
Dave

I get the dreaded splinters too off the extender pole, its such a shame because it is a good versatile pole, Its got to the stage where its now unusable due to the splinters

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:59:10 pm »
I had the same on the extender pole and it didn't take long either before it started to do it.

Paul

Trevor Knight

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:33:12 am »
All fiberglass poles will give you splinters unfortunately.

In summer my lads grin and bear it, in winter they wear gloves so not too bad.

Don't know a solution to this problem.
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

TERRY AB

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 05:50:26 pm »
I had this problem a couple of years ago: my solution was to buy a few meters of
cable heat shrinkabe sleeving, its not too easy to get the right diameter, but should be
findable on the Internet. Just pull over the pole section, cut to size and heat with the wifes
hair blower, a nice side effect is the pole doesnt get so cold in winter.

DaveBrown

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 06:05:16 pm »
I've also been getting splinters in my hands the last couple of days. Thought it was the pole. Also - my pole is green and my hands and sleeves seem to be getting dyed! Didn't happen too much when it was sunny and the pole was drier but now its wet seems to be losing its colour more!

Dave

Pj

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 08:09:31 pm »
Me too, but only a few.  not so bad with Ionics poles for some reason, mind you I do give them a coat of waxing every now and then, as suggested by somone here.
I think it helps a little.

macmac

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 08:10:03 pm »
i've been using an 18ft glass pole for 3yrs from cleantech, its never splintered and its had some proper abuse, it just covers my hands in blue dye!

CLAPHAM

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 09:49:01 pm »
Try wearing Gloves!!! ;D

EasyClean

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 03:22:43 am »
Try rubbing some 'Beeswax' on your 'extender' poles to overcome the problem. It gives a better grip when the pole is wet if working in the rain too.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 10:08:42 pm »
Orible end the day with iching hands...
My solution used to be a light spray of laquer but this never lasted long especially in damp weather when the poles also pick up all that fine grit
I now buy a load of those Orange gripper type gloves (Only cost about .50p a pair from your local cleaning equip suppliers) These work really well apart from stopping the splinters getting into your hands they also stop all that gritty rubbish that sticks to the hose from scratching and as an added bonus when the pole is wet you can grip it better without as much strain on your hand musles, have plenty spare and just put dry ones on when they get wet, stick them in the washer or dryer at night and they are ready for the next day.
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz