Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mr.G

sloping roofs
« on: October 26, 2006, 12:38:05 am »
has anyone got any tips about walking on sloping roofs safely? It's my least favourite part of the job, but I've lost work by refusing to climb some of them, and they're very common here.

Trevor Knight

Re: sloping roofs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:22:22 am »
When I was traditional I used to extend a ladder so I could walk along that, obviously with footing.

Some roofs you can just walk on, be careful with the tile as your insurance won't cover them or if you fall off!!

WFP now so don't have too many problems although some I still have to get the ladder out so I can gain better access to the windows to clean them.
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

stevekennedy

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 02:18:01 pm »
has anyone got any tips about walking on sloping roofs safely? It's my least favourite part of the job, but I've lost work by refusing to climb some of them, and they're very common here.

Yeah, DONT DO IT!

I have slipped off a roof this way and two of my mates have nearly died. One mate broke his back, the other broke just about every bone other than his back. Not worth it.

Use an extension pole, clean it from the inside, wfp it, or just say NO!

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:55:27 pm »
I agree wit Trevor, I always use a ladder extended as far up the roof as possible and get me helper to foot it

Mr.G

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 10:46:58 pm »
Steve, thats made me even more paranoid about them! were the roofs wet and slippery? saying "no" is what I'm doing more and more lately. the ladder method looks like a good idea, although I've no helper to foot it.

stevekennedy

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 08:18:19 pm »
I used to use the ladder, I would extend it above the gutter and have my worker foot it. I would then climb above the gutter line and have one foot on the ladder and one on the roof. As my confidence grew I would do without the person footing it. Mad, eh?

One of my mates broke his back this exact way. His wife was footing the ladder. It was a dry day. I guess he just made an error where he put his feet or got his balance wrong. The ladder went sideways.

The other mate fell 40ft of a wet roof that he was traversing. (Slightly different circumstances but still shows the respect you need to give roofs)

stevekennedy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 08:24:59 pm »
I had had a wee incident myself whe the ladder slid backwards on me. You won't believe this but it crashed down onto a window sill and stopped my fall. I couldn't move though as the ladder was at a silly angle if I had moved it would have slipped off the sill. SHouted on my worker, he footed it and I carefully climbed down. Then I went for a break as I was shaking.

The my mates had their accidents within a fairly short space of time.

I changed my ways. Started using a pole with squeegie on the end. WOuld put he ladder up to the gutter. Climb up so that my waist was below gutter level and then use the pole. This worked well. Was a bit slower that the ladder only method but then again since I no longer needed to pay a worker to foot the ladder...

Now, of course, I use waterfed pole from the ground. If the roof is too deep (if you know what i mean?) then I put a ladder against the gutter and climb up a bit. Then I angle my gooseneck on the multipole and use that. Works very well.

Don't mind doing the odd window like this if the rest are good and it's well paid, but I have dumped/sold on the majority of this kind of work as there is better out there.

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 08:49:06 am »
Place the aldder above the window and work down much easier. Depends on size of slope size of ladder and ground surface though!!

Richy L

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 02:34:12 pm »
I walk on some sloping roofs, but only if i am sure i will be ok. If there is any doubt in my mind if it is safe, i just tell the customer, i will not be able to clean that window incase i fall. Everybody is oik with it.
If you work with someone else, you can get around most problems by being footed.

Also make sure you stand on the bottom of the tiles, where the two tiles meet. That way you have very little chance of cracking any