Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

scott.

Insurance company asking Questions
« on: October 11, 2006, 07:27:45 am »
I managed to muck up a white carpet months ago, and eventually had to run it through the insurance, as it was valued at £4000...They have called me up, asking questions about what I used, and what method etc...and do i think it was my fault....Is this normal proceedure for them, or are they trying to get out of paying up, if I made a mistake?....any Ideas?...I done things by the book..and took advice from prochem throughout...from beging ...to trying to rectify the problem twice...but carpet died..anyone got experience of insurance companies?

jasonl

Re: Insurance company asking Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 08:01:04 am »
My advice would be to document everything, calls to prochem, site visits, calls etc... also make sure you have a written procedure, which you can present to the ins co showing that you have a system you  follow  eg .... pretest... clean with this/that method/chem/temp, on this/that carpet type.... basically follow a procedure, than document that you have followed the procedure.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

bill.appleton

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:06:25 am »
The primary purpose of all the questions will be data gathering.  As insurance is a contract of "Utmost Good Faith" they are kind of obliged to accept your answers.  OF COURSE you don't think it was your fault, that is a sideways attempt to imply that you didn't follow procedures.  It should go:

1: you claim
2: you answer the questions
3: they conduct any other investigation they see fit whilst communicating with you and any other relevant party.
4: They pay out.
5: They stick you with a renewal premium which leaves you walking a bit strangely and reluctant to sit down, even in company.

Even if you feel it may have been your fault, you don't admit liability to the client ( that will very likely be in the small print on the policy).

If they are dragging their heels you can write to them with a complaint, and under insurance industry guidelines (N2 complaints procedure) they have to acknowledge within 7 days, write to you within 14 to tell you what they are going to do, and then sort it out.

If you are unhappy with the settlement offered ( you cannot do this until that stage) you can go to the Financial Services Ombudsman (Used to be the insurance ombudsman) and ask them to consider the case.

Whooo.. sorry about that.  Seems some of my former life bubbled up to the surface.  The N2 stuff MAY be out of date (it's been a while) but the Financial Services Ombudsman SHOULD be able to answer any procedural enquiries you may have.

Hope this helps

scott.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 01:37:07 pm »
Thanks guys..
I though, they were trying to stick the blame on me...and then thought....well thats the whole idea of insurance....that I messed up....then they asked if I though the backing could have split or something.. ???....or the carpet could have been faulty...

I presrayed with prespay gold...and extracted with fibre and fabric rinse ,at around 40-50deg...and turbo dried..extra dry passes..minimum wetness...

after problem arose...

presprayed with browning prescription...and extracted with fibre and fabric rinse...turbo dryed again...

Followed up by another visit, with an increased dose of browning prescription....etc....

Couldnt do any more to my knowledge...and thats the proceedure instructed by prochem..I know you guys would prob have done it different...but, thats what I told them...and I guess it will have to do.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 10:15:18 am »
Is this the one the husband and you could not see much wrong.

Just tell insurance company what you did, let them sort it out.

carpetclean

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 03:58:03 pm »
just out of interest scott  forgetting the insurance for now. could you take time to explain the whole job and what went wrong . didiyou take pics
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed