Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davep

Sun Tan Lotion
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:34:12 pm »
Hi,  Going to look at a job where there is a small sun tan lotion stain, been there for few months and they have had a go at removing it. 

What is the best way to approach this?

Thanks..

Doug Holloway

Re: Sun Tan Lotion
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 04:41:21 pm »
Hi Dave,

If it's sun tan lotion then any detergent / MS should remove it BUT if it's got  a fake tanning dye in there then it will be very difficult if not impossible.

I would try white spirit, acetone and isopropanol.

Cheers

Doug

gerrystyles

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 04:41:49 pm »
? depends on what the customer has used on it. Depending on carpet type I would try Prochem Solvall or Solvex or Dri Pro. Then rinse extract with Fibre & Fabric rinse

davep

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 05:09:46 pm »
Thanks lads, so what is the science behind your ideas?  What could go wrong and what is the best way to price the job, don't want to give any guarantees   :-X

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 05:19:53 pm »
when i put sun lotion on my son i used to wash my hands in hot water to get the stuff off, never needed to use a solvent.

the biggest (98%) ingrediants of sun lotion are;

water
alcohol
benzoate
glycerin

I would try simple hot water.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 05:23:03 pm »
BUT!!!

if its suntan oil then the biggest ingrediants are;

parrafinum
and lots of big 20 letter words I can't read ;)

so this might be a problem

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

davep

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 05:29:56 pm »
Thanks Mike, i get stuck on most 6 letter words!  Good point, if so i will call manufacturer. 

I guess i just need to be honest with Custy and say it has a 50 50 chance of coming out?  Dosen't seem such a great thing to say to someone who your taking money off...

davep

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 06:23:25 pm »
Just been and it does have a colour in it, told her 50 50 chance of getting it out,  Its a Beige Wool carpet. 

Also she showed me a dark dusty mark where she said the Cat had laid a couple of times..  I asked if he peed in the house and got a strange look     ;D

gerrystyles

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 11:10:57 pm »
I never give the customer a gaurantee especially especially if they have already tried to remove it

clive

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 03:24:25 pm »
Hi, It has a self tanning agent in it, which leaves an orange mark on the carpet. I see loads of these stains and have never once even improved them!!

Clive