Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cleanwave

How do you deal with this?
« on: October 20, 2006, 12:21:46 pm »
Hi all,

Recently I've had a few jobs where I do front and backs, but the customer needs to be in for me to access the backs.  The time and date for the clean is arranged but when I turn up they are either out, or they say they are just going out, and can they give me a call 'sometime' so I can come back (but as long as it's not half term, a Thursday, it looks like rain, the windows don't quite need doing yet and almost anything else you can think of!).  Unsurprisingly, it's these same people who complained they can 'never find a window cleaner ...'

This is driving me mad as I spend more time arranging exact times and driving around for nothing and it really messes up my schedule as it's so inflexible.  Also the cleans are effectively one-offs as I can't just turn up and do them every month/6 weeks when they are out and leave a bill and so I feel like I'm working for nothing on these jobs.  I'm tempted to just drop them as I don't need to hassle, even though I need the work at the moment.

Anyway, I just wondered how you deal with this and what you would do ??  Any thoughts?

Sorry for going on ...

Cheers

Matt

steveaqua

Re: How do you deal with this?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 01:15:04 pm »
just get shot of them matt, i've been a little ruthless this week with people that are mucking about. If you keep running round after people you will just not make any money (not as much anyway). I've tried to be fair and bend over backwards in the past is was actually being on here and reading other poeples posts that made me realise they ain't worth it!

stevekennedy

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 01:15:40 pm »
If they have a locked gate I say "give me a key"

If they want an appointment and don't turn up, i do what I can and bill them for my time

If they make an appointmant and change their mind i drop them

If they won't agree with the first two i drop them

Davie T

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 02:11:55 pm »
Charge them for the windows you can access at that time.   
I divide the job value by total number of windows to find price per window, multiply by the number of windows and add on  a percentage for the hassle.

pylofm

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 02:25:25 pm »
I have on my terms & conditions that if I turn up to clean their windows and I am unable to gain access as agreed, the charge is 50% of the clean...

Not had anyone take up the offer yet  ;)

Cheers
Dave.

L plate

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 02:28:19 pm »
I think you know the answer and I think a lot on here will tell you what they would do

Drop them  >:( >:(

Their not worth the hassle

Window cleaning stress free don’t waste your time on time wastes

Your better off using your time canvassing 

In six months you’ll be trying to find time to do all your good customers  ;) ;)

L plate

cleanwave

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 03:19:18 pm »
Thanks everyone, that really helps.  I think I'll just drop those that are the biggest hassles - as you say, who needs it... The majority of customers are excellent, so can't wait till I am full up with these.

Cheers

Matt

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 03:57:58 pm »
just clean the fronts and charge 60% of the full clean
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Trevor Knight

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 04:00:16 pm »
When you arrange a date and time specify that should they cancel or reschedule the appointment you will charge for the clean to compensate for lost time and missed business!

Don't let the customer dictate to you, there are plenty more fish in the sea!!

;)

Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 07:40:02 pm »
Thanks everyone, that really helps.  I think I'll just drop those that are the biggest hassles - as you say, who needs it... The majority of customers are excellent, so can't wait till I am full up with these.

Cheers

Matt

Absolutely.  Dump 'em.  No hesitation. Would they work for a company that regularly sends them away without pay after they've taken the trouble to turn up?

aztec

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 10:17:36 pm »
too true the shiner if they took 5 minutes and thought of the time they are wasting us all without pay then they would understand we arent a charity

Fast 1 *

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 11:59:17 pm »
Blow them out  ;)
wildstyles

Mr.G

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 12:12:18 am »
 I don't make appointmets because I don't like being tied to a time. If they're out, I do just the front, and charge 2/3 of the price, so it actually works out better for me if they're out. 

cleanwave

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 04:25:27 pm »
thanks again guys, good advice.  I like the charging a proportion of the total idea,

cheers

matt

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 02:58:23 pm »
Ask for a key is what seems the answer but make sure you know which key is for which property though.

[size=9.5pt]P.S if you're doing it trad method then why not split your double ladder in half and climb over if it's possible that is!![/size]

pjulk

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 03:55:17 pm »
I had one today ask me for a quote then she said on the phone.
You can only clean them while im there as we have electric gates.

I said is it a key pad one she said yes.
I said no problem just give me the number.

I can't do that she said.
So you have to clean while i am there.

I said sorry love i don't work that way so i will not take you on.

I learnt a while ago not to do what the customers want as you will be running around after them all the time.
Theres plenty of work out there with easy access.

Paul

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 05:57:23 pm »
I had one today ask me for a quote then she said on the phone.
You can only clean them while im there as we have electric gates.

I said is it a key pad one she said yes.
I said no problem just give me the number.

I can't do that she said.
So you have to clean while i am there.

I said sorry love i don't work that way so i will not take you on.

I learnt a while ago not to do what the customers want as you will be running around after them all the time.
Theres plenty of work out there with easy access.

Paul

The only time I pre-arrange is if the job is well worth it for me.  There are two on my round where I do this but believe me, I do charge top dollar plus for it.  They are both jobs that are are big enough to justify making a special journey.