Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

Re: Depression/hating the job - possible solution
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2024, 08:48:26 am »
Easy to take the pee and preach if you don’t actually suffer from depression.

Of course I've suffered from depression many times in my teens and twenties and come close to topping myself a few times....it goes hand in hand with alcoholism and drug addiction....

Thankfully I don't suffer from it these days
price higher/work harder!

Simon Trapani

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2024, 10:06:17 am »
My understanding is depression is a chemical reaction in your brain. Not about getting a dog or helping others etc.

AuRavelling79

michael mckeary

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2024, 11:55:50 am »
Learning something new is good for our health. If I couldn't get out and work then it would affect me. Everyone needs a purpose in life, even if its just looking after a dog. I always wondered why my father worked when he was a millionaire. He owned a hotel and would always be their and sometimes would go and wash the dishes. I thought why not sell the place and retire. Now I'm 58 I realise his purpose was his hotel and that gave him that lifestyle.
You see it with MP's and wee Rishi, why does he need to work when his wife is a billionaire? He needs a purpose a reason for living in the end we all want to feel we are needed in some way.😉

NBwcs

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2024, 01:53:36 pm »
"You see it with MP's and wee Rishi, why does he need to work when his wife is a billionaire? He needs a purpose a reason for living"

Indeed, and wee Rishi's purpose for living was to ensure the most inept, incompetent government that's ever served in living memory, didn't get back in power. Mission accomplished.  (bet he wished he'd chosen to do a bit of washing up instead of becoming the scapegoat for the damage his two predecessors caused).

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2024, 04:30:17 pm »
My understanding is depression is a chemical reaction in your brain. Not about getting a dog or helping others etc.

Meditating in silence with a group of people can be very restorative and uplifting too....

When the soul is nurtured it brings with it a peace,calm and translucent spiritual power which dissolves all your  fear and depression for a while.....

It's available to all humans.... you just have to tap into it which is not easy in the modern western world we live in today with constant technological distractions...
price higher/work harder!

Simon Trapani

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2024, 06:32:12 pm »
oh please. We all got sh't going on. Life's hard. It knocks you down. You gotta keep getting up, dust yourself down & get on with it.
Old school yeh, but it works for me.

dd

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2024, 07:27:10 pm »
There are different types of depression and likewise different approaches to tackling them. Some comments display a complete lack of appreciation for how serious and debilitating depression can be.

windowswashed

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2024, 06:12:31 pm »
Phone or text customers the night before helps you commit to turning up for work the following day. Sitting at home twiddling your thumbs because the weather forecast was iffy is an easy way to get depressed.
If the weather forecast prevent s you working the following day then make a list of jobs around the house to do or get out and visit places or people.
The black dog is a horrible place to go so don't let it take hold of your mind, stay positive and busy and make plans which you should keep to.

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2024, 09:47:11 am »
I haven't posted in ages but some of my previous posts were about how much I hated the job and how I was depressed around it.

Well three months ago I did some CBT counselling specifically aimed at these feelings.

Without exaggerating it's been life changing. I no longer hate the job and while I don't love it, it is completely manageable. I rarely get stressed at work and even  irritations like the hose getting caught no longer bother me.

The focus of the counselling was aligning my values with the job. These were: being a provider for my family, being a hard worker and making my girlfriend and Dad proud.

She also taught me to have something to look forward to each day, even something small. For me it was things like playing darts, going to swim and sauna and watching a football match on TV etc.

If you are struggling I'd really consider it. You can find a counsellor/therapist online:

https://www.bacp.co.uk/search/Therapists   (Other websites out there if you google).

Other things I've found helpful are meditating (I use the headspace app, just 10 mins a day) and journaling even if it's just a few sentences, doesn't have to be long. Most phones have a free app for it or you can just use notes if you have an iPhone.

Hopefully this may be useful.

Not sure the CBT is going to help with 30c temperatures tomorrow tho!

Well done Jay for airing this subject and your journey. Best wishes to you going forward

Cheers
Ian
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

jay moley

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2024, 04:09:04 pm »
There are different types of depression and likewise different approaches to tackling them. Some comments display a complete lack of appreciation for how serious and debilitating depression can be.

Nailed it.