Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

combat1

New leisure battery
« on: June 24, 2024, 01:41:33 pm »
Hi, need to replace my leisure battery.
Running two pumps but no electric reels.
Any idea what amp age I should be looking for?
Current battery not managing to run the two pumps.
Thanks

Spruce

Re: New leisure battery
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2024, 02:17:26 pm »
Hi, need to replace my leisure battery.
Running two pumps but no electric reels.
Any idea what amp age I should be looking for?
Current battery not managing to run the two pumps.
Thanks

105 - 110 amp imho Combat1.  You need to recharge the battery every day though.

Shurflo say their pumps draw 8 amps an hour under load. Our experience using a controller is that we use approx 2 amps tops an hour under normal stop start applications during our working day. I always felt our pumps ran for about 30 minutes an hour on our compact round, but the battery monitor suggests it's much lower.

In recent times we had the now not used NCC rating to help us. Some batteries still carry the NCC rating. You are looking for an A or B class.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

combat1

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2024, 02:37:04 pm »
Thanks Spruce, too man as usual.
Got my son out working with me.
Most helpful post , thanks very much.

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2024, 07:25:08 pm »
Halfords have a little info on their site.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/advice/what-is-the-ncc-verified-leisure-battery-scheme.html

NCC Verified leisure batteries are tested by the manufacturer and verified by the NCC taking into account their minimum capacity minimum and their minimum life cycles at 50% depth of discharge, into 1 of 3 classes. NCC Testing Class. Intended Purpose. Minimum Capacity (Ah).

NCC Verified leisure batteries are tested by the manufacturers. That's great, but that's the same as the motor manufacturers 'testing' and submitting new car miles per gallon figures. I think the expression was putting the fox in charge of the hen house.
Verified by the NCC. The complaint was the NCC charged the battery manufacturers for the privilege of being included on a performance graph and did nothing in return.

One of the caravan clubs had nothing good to say about the NCC scheme. They reported that the NCC had only their interests at heart, no one else's.

I found the chart interesting. If the manufacturer says the battery is only good for 80 charge cycles to 50% depth of discharge, then that battery isn't for us as window cleaners.

As Ched has said in earlier posts, the weight of the battery gives some indication of the battery's quality as well, as the heavier the battery, the more lead content there is.

combat1

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 01:36:59 pm »
Thanks for that.
It’s funny that the old controller and pump show 12.2 when running on their own and the new controller and pump show 11.1 when running on their own?
Want to get it running as we would smash it with two poles running.
Our current battery is an 80 amp hour, so will take Spruces advice and buy a larger battery.

Bungle

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 02:24:31 pm »
I'm going to buy my next one from Halfords. They're all a bit dopey in my local branch so should have no issues getting one replaced.
We look at them, they look through them.

combat1

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 02:34:18 pm »
My last one was from Halfords, no problems.
I might try Tayna batteries this time, good pricing and delivery.

Bungle

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2024, 07:52:47 pm »
My last one was from Halfords, no problems.
I might try Tayna batteries this time, good pricing and delivery.

If it packs up they want it back send it off for tests ask if it's been used for window cleaning and you're left without a battery or you have to buy another to tide you over.

I'm going down the Halfords route next time.
We look at them, they look through them.

combat1

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2024, 10:27:05 pm »
Fair enough, will join you on that one.
Thanks for the advice.👍

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2024, 05:16:26 am »
Warranty is always going to be an issue with window cleaners and lead acid batteries.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the leisure industry in general also has warranty issues.  There are  a host of reasons why a battery warranty  can be rejected and we as users are at the mercy of these manufacturers as they 'hold all the cards.'

I've always said we have to take the risk, even if the manufacture is to blame for the failure.
Most manufacturers class our industry as battery abusers.

There was a poster on the forums who said that his branch of Halfords wanted to send his battery back to the suppliers for testing before actioning the warranty.  He had to buy a new battery and Halfords would pass a credit on the purchase of the warranty was accepted.