Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pete Thompson

Re: Pavement parking new laws
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2023, 09:07:19 am »
I try to avoid it if possible anyway.  If this law comes to England I will probably have to just drop 4 or 5 customers, so no big deal.

As for parking on driveways, I do this too, but avoid it if possible.  Sometimes the customer comes back while we're cleaning, and I don't like annoying them by preventing them parking on their own drive (even though I'm sure they don't mind)

But one time I parked on a customer's drive on a really awkward PITA road where there was basically no alternative.  While I was around the back, a visitor came and blocked my van in, I didn't notice until I was packing up.

So, I packed up and then rang the doorbell so the visitor could let me out...- No answer.
I rang again ... No answer.
I called the customer's mobile (he was in) ... No Answer.
I banged hard on the door... No Answer.

So I waited a few minutes, just wondering what to do when finally the visitor (an insurance man) finally came out, he and the customer in deep conversation.  It was clear that they had heard me knocking and ringing, but were happy to just ignore me, even though he had blocked me in.  What a complete tool.

Never again.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2023, 12:56:10 pm »
I try to avoid it if possible anyway.  If this law comes to England I will probably have to just drop 4 or 5 customers, so no big deal.

As for parking on driveways, I do this too, but avoid it if possible.  Sometimes the customer comes back while we're cleaning, and I don't like annoying them by preventing them parking on their own drive (even though I'm sure they don't mind)

But one time I parked on a customer's drive on a really awkward PITA road where there was basically no alternative.  While I was around the back, a visitor came and blocked my van in, I didn't notice until I was packing up.

So, I packed up and then rang the doorbell so the visitor could let me out...- No answer.
I rang again ... No answer.
I called the customer's mobile (he was in) ... No Answer.
I banged hard on the door... No Answer.

So I waited a few minutes, just wondering what to do when finally the visitor (an insurance man) finally came out, he and the customer in deep conversation.  It was clear that they had heard me knocking and ringing, but were happy to just ignore me, even though he had blocked me in.  What a complete tool.

Never again.
That would be an instant dump.   Can't stand rude people who think they are our only customer to get to.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

tonyoliver

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2023, 12:31:02 pm »
Is this new law looking to purely punish those who park the majority or even the whole of the vehicle on the pavement?   I'm sure all of us park with two wheels on the curb in narrow roads so this new Scottish rule presumably doesn't stretch to that?

Sorry to burst the  Scottish bubble  here in London the whole of London that is
they will hit you if the bulge of the tyre is on the kerb stone the kerb is according to them part of the pavement
as is the muddy bit of a verge !!

My wheel had turned in and mounted the kerb by an inch I know not good for the tyre but we all do when the space is tight  £85  fine for pavement parking
Van was wider than the bay £85 fine  if you park more than 53 cm from the kerb fine for double parking   Fine
loading bays are a no no for windows  cleaners as we’re not unloading apparently  leave the van doors open to look like your unloading lose your kit
Some yellow box junctions are designed to catch you out the one in Chelsea is 100 yards long   With the well placed camera they got me  £55 fine and they made over a million pounds last year out of just one box junction in Camden
Liverpool st you round a blind bend and straight into a bus lane it’s 50 yards long  wave goodbye to £125 there is more  congestion zone now virtually 247  sat mornings be out by twelve is the only break it even works Xmas day as does lez and ulez
Pay per mile is coming low no traffic areas are here
  they never ever let a chance go to common sense they always abuse the powers they have and the serious serial offenders get away  Scott free pardon the pun
Once they get the taste of any power they never let it go my council used the terrorisum  act to spy on a man putting the wrong rubbish in a wheelie bin  go figure

Splash & dash

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2023, 02:20:43 pm »
Is this new law looking to purely punish those who park the majority or even the whole of the vehicle on the pavement?   I'm sure all of us park with two wheels on the curb in narrow roads so this new Scottish rule presumably doesn't stretch to that?

Sorry to burst the  Scottish bubble  here in London the whole of London that is
they will hit you if the bulge of the tyre is on the kerb stone the kerb is according to them part of the pavement
as is the muddy bit of a verge !!

My wheel had turned in and mounted the kerb by an inch I know not good for the tyre but we all do when the space is tight  £85  fine for pavement parking
Van was wider than the bay £85 fine  if you park more than 53 cm from the kerb fine for double parking   Fine
loading bays are a no no for windows  cleaners as we’re not unloading apparently  leave the van doors open to look like your unloading lose your kit
Some yellow box junctions are designed to catch you out the one in Chelsea is 100 yards long   With the well placed camera they got me  £55 fine and they made over a million pounds last year out of just one box junction in Camden
Liverpool st you round a blind bend and straight into a bus lane it’s 50 yards long  wave goodbye to £125 there is more  congestion zone now virtually 247  sat mornings be out by twelve is the only break it even works Xmas day as does lez and ulez
Pay per mile is coming low no traffic areas are here
  they never ever let a chance go to common sense they always abuse the powers they have and the serious serial offenders get away  Scott free pardon the pun
Once they get the taste of any power they never let it go my council used the terrorisum  act to spy on a man putting the wrong rubbish in a wheelie bin  go figure

Legally a window cleaner can park  in a loading bay we had a case like that down here and it went to court and the council / traffic warden was given a roasting for  waisting the  courts time and had to pay all costs , I think ones in London just accept the  fine as they can’t be bothered to challenge it . Also the bit about a bulging tyre over the kerb is also not a legal issue , ones need to challenge theses things .

Pete Thompson

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2023, 11:18:22 pm »

Legally a window cleaner can park  in a loading bay we had a case like that down here and it went to court and the council / traffic warden was given a roasting for  waisting the  courts time and had to pay all costs , I think ones in London just accept the  fine as they can’t be bothered to challenge it . Also the bit about a bulging tyre over the kerb is also not a legal issue , ones need to challenge theses things .

I’d be just so happy to have that confirmed?

Do you have any details of that case?

There are plenty of perfectly placed loading areas that I’ve been avoiding all these years.

Splash & dash

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2023, 07:07:47 pm »

I’d be just so happy to have that confirmed?

Do you have any details of that case?

There are plenty of perfectly placed loading areas that I’ve been avoiding all these years.

It was in the local press and local  TV news at the time , don’t know all the details but it was publicised that the guy could legally use a loading bay to work and a window cleaner using WFP from a tank in his van was allowed 20 muinits “ loading time “ to do the job . There have been no issues since we regularly park on double yellows , loading bays etc without any issues , we do a very large hotel in our area and have two van s parked on double yellows for two days with out issue when we took on the job I got on to  the council to get a permit to park there cost around £20 , after 8 months they got fed up issuing the permits and gave me one free of charge that is undated and we still use it now that was issued around 8 years ago . Apart from red lines you can get permission to park any ware it’s just a case of applying  to the local council .