Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pete Thompson

How much do you spend on van scratches and dents?
« on: January 10, 2024, 08:51:29 am »
My van, bought new in 2018, is now starting to look a little beaten up due to minor scratches, and a few annoying dents.

Nothing major, but as they’re quite numerous, I’m going to put it in the body shop and get them all fixed. I’m estimating about £1500 all in, though that is just a guess really.

None of them affect the function of course, but I also don’t want to be pulling up at jobs in a shabby looking vehicle.

Just curious, how much are we all spending on average each year fixing these non-serious dents and scratches?

JandS

Re: How much do you spend on van scratches and dents?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 09:52:03 am »
No what you mean......seems every time I wash it I find another scratch or very minor dent......spent £360 last year tarting it up but still finding the odd one.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

DJW

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 01:14:17 pm »
I don’t spend anything on mine. I get them for free.

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 02:57:16 pm »
My van, bought new in 2018, is now starting to look a little beaten up due to minor scratches, and a few annoying dents.

Nothing major, but as they’re quite numerous, I’m going to put it in the body shop and get them all fixed. I’m estimating about £1500 all in, though that is just a guess really.

None of them affect the function of course, but I also don’t want to be pulling up at jobs in a shabby looking vehicle.

Just curious, how much are we all spending on average each year fixing these non-serious dents and scratches?

Get a dent and scratch removal man to quote you. Any new or used car sales outlet (their new and used vehicle progressor) will give the name of the one they use.

Dentdevil and Chips Away were companies we used to use 25 years ago. But there could well be a local company that does a good job these dealers will recommend.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dd

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 05:20:15 pm »
Owned my van for 18 years. I did pay £5 to replace a piece of trim about 10 years ago. I also wash the van at least once a year.

zesty

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 06:11:04 pm »
£0

Jamie Thomas

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 07:57:45 pm »
Mine gets cleaned every time it rains and I mow the roof twice a year.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 09:12:59 pm »
My 2012 van had a few scratches accumulate in  the first couple of years. Mrs. Gold put a dent in the side door and I got a semi retired bodywork friend to go round it for £400.

This year I did the same for another £500 after I put a deep scratch and small crease either side of the rear and offside wheel arch.

Then a week later the big prang. Which he helped sort out.
It's a game of three halves!

Bungle

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 01:28:52 pm »
I put a gouge in the sill on my brand new van after having it a couple of months. Got quoted 3k for it to be fixed. It's still there. It's a work horse at the end of the day.
We look at them, they look through them.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 02:33:24 pm »
I put a gouge in the sill on my brand new van after having it a couple of months. Got quoted 3k for it to be fixed. It's still there. It's a work horse at the end of the day.

I'd have lived with that too. Not worth asking a back street guy to pretty it up for a lot less?
It's a game of three halves!

Bungle

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2024, 05:05:50 pm »

I'd have lived with that too. Not worth asking a back street guy to pretty it up for a lot less?

Can't be arsed. It passes the MOT.
We look at them, they look through them.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 05:51:44 pm »

Rip off then!

I gouged my sill on my brand new GTD(it was 3 weeks old)a few years ago in Anglesey on one of them stones sticking out from the corner of a cottage.

Chips away sorted it for £250.the guy did a fantastic job!(3 hour job)

price higher/work harder!

DJW

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 08:43:56 pm »
You never mentioned it 🤷‍♂️

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 11:18:23 pm »
There's gouging and then there is GOUGING!

anything round here bigger than a dispatch costs an arm and a leg to repair - very very few body shops have the equipment to lift a larger van never mind a booth to spray it

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Ggh

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2024, 12:24:13 pm »
All our vans our purchased pre dented. Takes the worry about damaging them away.
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

harleyman

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2024, 08:33:13 pm »
Feck all its a waste of time trust me I've been there just be extra carefull

windowswashed

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2024, 09:10:26 pm »
It's not cost worthy repairing dents and scratches, it is what it is. It's a van, it's used for work and why bother wasting money on something that won't add cost effective  value.