Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Spruce

Re: Check a trade, any good for bringing in work?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2023, 08:56:07 am »
Personally, my belief is that Check-a-Trade might be useful to homeowners who want some big building project undertaken, some plumbing or electrical work done.

I can't see why Mr Ordinary Joe Bloggs would want a window cleaner to be checked out unless there are some very extenuating circumstances.

The vast majority of our work has come from word of mouth and personal recommendations. Any new customers come from recommendations, as we don't canvass any more.

We have never had our integrity questioned. If someone doesn't like us, for what ever reason, they discontinue our service. No hard feelings. That's their right, in the same way it's our right to discontinue providing a service to them.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2023, 09:06:43 am »
⬆️ what a clear and to the point answer Spruce.

Slacky

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2023, 12:02:14 pm »
Moderators, why is this fool allowed to run amok throughout the forum, writing what can only be described as incoherent gibberish, yet is allowed to ruin every thread he chooses to take part in. 

Can he not be banned?

While having some sympathy with this view you will note others feel differently. Some enjoy the banter. Every community has its characters. If voicing stupid opinions and difficult to comprehend comments were banning offences then it would be a very boring place to be.

For me, deciphering the intention of posts can be a challenge but what I think NWH is saying is that some of his potential but failed buyers are on check-a-trade and that from his experience he wouldn't give them time of day.

I'm sure that the way he presents himself on here is how he offers work for sale and so I believe there is a bit of 'you reap what you sow' too.

👍

I get what you’re saying, and am aware it’s not my opinion that counts in these kinds of matters. However, my opinion isn’t the only one who has suggested a more effective ban for him. Maybe it’s my age, but any threads he participates in seems to descend rapidly in to incoherent dribble.

Smudger

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2023, 12:39:32 pm »
I see the cr@p is back

unintelligent - incoherent - pointless posts

brings the forum down but much like the world today the majority have to suffer for the sake of the minority

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

zesty

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2023, 06:39:36 am »
Personally, my belief is that Check-a-Trade might be useful to homeowners who want some big building project undertaken, some plumbing or electrical work done.

I can't see why Mr Ordinary Joe Bloggs would want a window cleaner to be checked out unless there are some very extenuating circumstances.

The vast majority of our work has come from word of mouth and personal recommendations. Any new customers come from recommendations, as we don't canvass any more.

We have never had our integrity questioned. If someone doesn't like us, for what ever reason, they discontinue our service. No hard feelings. That's their right, in the same way it's our right to discontinue providing a service to them.

To me, giving check a trade a go, would purely be in the interest of work gained, being on there for integrity etc is irrelevant for me.

There are several window cleaners on there on in my area, my thoughts are they wouldn’t be paying to be on there if it wasn’t bringing in good work - who knows, without trying it.

I’m very busy, but it does interest me out of curiosity, I’d be interested to know what sort of work comes in.

Perhaps I’ll trial it, or perhaps I’ll just forget and move on like many things  ;D

Spruce

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2023, 07:35:12 am »

To me, giving check a trade a go, would purely be in the interest of work gained, being on there for integrity etc is irrelevant for me.

There are several window cleaners on there on in my area, my thoughts are they wouldn’t be paying to be on there if it wasn’t bringing in good work - who knows, without trying it.

I’m very busy, but it does interest me out of curiosity, I’d be interested to know what sort of work comes in.

Perhaps I’ll trial it, or perhaps I’ll just forget and move on like many things  ;D

When you see one of them about, why not stop and ask them their opinion.

What happens if they sign up, get the sticker for their van, and then cancel the following year? They should remove that sticker, but would they?

Having that sticker might help with the odd walk up enquiry, but I doubt it will change the quality of a customer gained.

I've found that if I get a new customer in a street from a recommendation, over time I get a couple more cleans next door to that original customer. Neighbours talk.

My vans have never been sign written.

Shrek

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2023, 10:00:27 am »

What happens if they sign up, get the sticker for their van, and then cancel the following year? They should remove that sticker, but would they?

Having that sticker might help with the odd walk up enquiry, but I doubt it will change the quality of a customer gained.

I've found that if I get a new customer in a street from a recommendation, over time I get a couple more cleans next door to that original customer. Neighbours talk.

Maybe that’s what it’s like in your area and I do remember as a kid all the neighbours talk but personally on my street , we say hi to our immediate neighbours either side and that’s about it. People are more private these days and tend to go online more to find a tradesmen instead of asking their neighbours

Spruce

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2023, 12:20:31 pm »

Maybe that’s what it’s like in your area and I do remember as a kid all the neighbours talk but personally on my street , we say hi to our immediate neighbours either side and that’s about it. People are more private these days and tend to go online more to find a tradesmen instead of asking their neighbours

You're right. We are in an area where neighbours talk. I'm already surprised at how many people know my name who I have never met before.

There are some areas where  people have lived in for many years and don't know who their neighbours are.

I guess that having another form of security check would help if you are in areas like this. If never really thought about it from that perspective.