Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

KS Cleaning

Changing from backpack to electric reel
« on: July 27, 2021, 08:15:47 pm »
I’ve decided I’m gonna install an electric reel, pump and controller. After many years using a backpack my body is telling me I need to find a method that doesn’t put as much strain on my body. I’m 52 now and over the last few weeks I’ve been suffering from a sore spine between the shoulder blades.
When I started WFP’ling over 10 years ago I did initially start off using reels but just couldn’t get on with them, the fact that I used to lift the reel, complete with 100 metres of mini-bore, in and out of the van might have had something to do with it!
I’m thinking of cutting a hole in the van floor and installing a roller so the hose comes out from underneath the van, does anyone work this way? and do you find having the roller underneath easier than reeling out from the loading area? Are there any negatives in working this way?
My van isn’t a lease van so no worries about cutting into the floor.

JandS

Re: Changing from backpack to electric reel
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 08:19:15 pm »
9 times out of 10 I leave my reel in van.....open r/h back door pull it out to furthest point and work back to van then reel in......mine's manual not electric......hardly any effort required to reel back in.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

dd

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 10:26:36 pm »
I am amazed that anyone would want to lug a backpack around for years.

I use a fixed hose reel and work with rear doors open (often just the right), worked this way over 15 years. I do use a very good quality manual reel but people do seem to get on well with the electric ones.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 05:09:15 am »
I did 7 years with roller in floor with a fixed reel
Works well
I needed to lock van doors as I have other poles left in van
I. Just changed to electric reel pointing out of the side doors which is even better

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 07:40:23 am »
Put reinforced pole hose on your reel. Light as anything. If you want your reel light then get a cheap  claber - make a tray (for it to sit in) and fix that to the van floor.
Hose and reel will cost you less than £200.00. Job jobbed. I am an old fart and this (along with extreme poles) lightens the load on the body. You can reel off about 30 metres of hose and walk with it before you need to worry about pulling round corners.
It's a game of three halves!

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 07:41:32 am »
I’ve decided I’m gonna install an electric reel, pump and controller. After many years using a backpack my body is telling me I need to find a method that doesn’t put as much strain on my body. I’m 52 now and over the last few weeks I’ve been suffering from a sore spine between the shoulder blades.
When I started WFP’ling over 10 years ago I did initially start off using reels but just couldn’t get on with them, the fact that I used to lift the reel, complete with 100 metres of mini-bore, in and out of the van might have had something to do with it!
I’m thinking of cutting a hole in the van floor and installing a roller so the hose comes out from underneath the van, does anyone work this way? and do you find having the roller underneath easier than reeling out from the loading area? Are there any negatives in working this way?
My van isn’t a lease van so no worries about cutting into the floor.

i just leave one rear door open....i can lock the side door and cab.....yes you want a fixed quality electric reel for minimal strain and effort with 100m of microbore hose...i dont see the point in faffing about with holes and rollers in the floor,if you really want to lock the van you can lock it with the hose coming out of the bottom of the van door if you really wanted (once you ve pulled enough off the reel for the job your cleaning)
price higher/work harder!

james peters

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 09:00:14 am »

I use a fixed hose reel and work with rear doors open (often just the right), worked this way over 15 years. I do use a very good quality manual reel but people do seem to get on well with the electric ones.

I have been wfp  for the same amount of time .    I have a hose reel and back packs (4) and use a combination of both .
some jobs I find a complete ball ache with a hose reeL.
I understand  why most opt for hose reel, but in all honesty I find using a back pack less hastle .
It takes seconds to fill from the tank.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 09:00:55 am »
You want a frame that is just below chest height with an electric reel it’s so easy with an electric reel I can see how people get bored lol,I’m using this hire van for another day or so and it’s a different job altogether having to lift a reel out plug in and then back into the van again after each job people that work this way want to look seriously about the way they work,it’s an injury inducing way to work on a daily basis.

NWH

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 09:03:23 am »
I wouldn’t work anyway that involves lifting barrels -trollley-backpack just not needed,make life easier for yourself not harder.

dd

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 05:59:01 pm »

I have been wfp  for the same amount of time .    I have a hose reel and back packs (4) and use a combination of both .
some jobs I find a complete ball ache with a hose reeL.
I understand  why most opt for hose reel, but in all honesty I find using a back pack less hastle .
It takes seconds to fill from the tank.
I only use backpack to apply chems to consv roofs. I find it heavy to lug around and think it would cause some joint damage if used regularly.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 06:17:11 pm »
That’s the only thing I’d use a backpack for applying a chemical first to PVC or roof etc.

koopmaster

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 08:56:49 pm »
OMG 52 with a backpack... you must be shattered by lunch... im 46 and with a electric reel im tired after 5 hours of play

KS Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 01:42:51 am »
OMG 52 with a backpack... you must be shattered by lunch... im 46 and with a electric reel im tired after 5 hours of play
Not at all, this ‘injury’ has just occurred over the last few weeks. I fully expect my hourly rate to drop dramatically as I make the transition to electric reel.

james peters

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 08:12:11 am »
Not at all, this ‘injury’ has just occurred over the last few weeks. I fully expect my hourly rate to drop dramatically as I make the transition to electric reel.

You will find it a ball ache for a while .
I started having hip pain, and so I decided to start using my reel a little more. so these days I still use my back pack  but also use my reel on some jobs .
my hip pain is improving.

when you have used a back pack for so l;ong, its hard to go back to a reel.
my reel is chest height ( fixed ) so there is also no bending over

jonboywalton75

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 05:40:38 am »
I have nightmares about working with a backpack

NWH

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2021, 02:40:52 pm »
And cold sweats about a van that has ports on the side so you have to lift reels in and out all day long,awful way to work you’d be better off having a mounted reel on the side and rear I wouldn’t send anyone out with a reel out of  the van setup the only thing missing is tunes playing from the mid 90s whilst working 🤣🤣