Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

zesty

Drone for gutter inspections, write off tax?
« on: December 09, 2017, 09:25:42 am »
Has anyone bought a drone for gutter inspections (3 story plus, i just use a ladder for normal houses) and put the cost through as a business expense?

andyM

Re: Drone for gutter inspections, write off tax?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 09:53:17 am »
Nice try!
One of the Plebs

zesty

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:55:37 am »
Nice try!

Lol it’s actually a serious question!

If it’s used as a business tool, surely it’s an expense?

andyM

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 10:12:54 am »
Nice try!

Lol it’s actually a serious question!

If it’s used as a business tool, surely it’s an expense?

Well I've got a couple of DJI Drones and to be honest in my opinion they're not the ideal tool to use for checking gutters.
There's no zoom on the camera for a start so potentially you could have to get in quite close to the roof to get an accurate inspection, and that increases your chances of impact/collision and your new toy ending up on the ground in bits.
My choice for inspecting gutters would be a camera on the end of a pole.     
One of the Plebs

andyM

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 10:15:02 am »
Also if you're using a Drone for "commercial purposes" you're supposed have a license and insurance and it aint cheap.
One of the Plebs

Missing Link

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 11:20:28 am »
I'd just do it, and if you ever get a tax audit, and they disagree, you'll just be asked (told) to refund what you owe.

If you want to be totally honest about it, just apportion an amount against your tax for the proportion of time you'd be using it for work and pleasure.

Something like 10% of time used for work, 90% used for pleasure.  Then that would be 10% of the cost you could use for tax purposes.

Just stick a note in with your paperwork explaining that, so in five years time, you know what you did.

That's how I'd do it, but I'm not a tax accountant, and if I was using it for work for 10% of the time, that would seem fair to me.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

zesty

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 11:20:51 am »
Also if you're using a Drone for "commercial purposes" you're supposed have a license and insurance and it aint cheap.

Fair enough  :)

Tony dunmall

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 12:41:07 pm »
Yes we offer a drone service inspection on larger properties with a reduction if work is carried out £45 per hour

And yes fully licensed individual also offer it for building surveys where some building are talk and appraise it you need scaffolding also on crop surveys for farmers but these are very different areas

andyM

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 01:19:04 pm »
Yes we offer a drone service inspection on larger properties with a reduction if work is carried out £45 per hour

And yes fully licensed individual also offer it for building surveys where some building are talk and appraise it you need scaffolding also on crop surveys for farmers but these are very different areas

Interesting Tony.
I was working on a rural farmhouse property a few months ago and there was a guy there contracted by Bayer flying a drone up and down the farm field.
Turns out he was 3d mapping the field and by doing so builds up a picture of the crop density.
From the map the farmer and Bayer can then see places where crop yield is dense or thin in the field and reduce or increase the pesticide/chemical to suit with pinpoint accuracy.
Very impressive.
One of the Plebs