Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steven Butler

Upholstery season
« on: October 03, 2016, 07:02:06 pm »
Do you find theres a time of year that people seem to want upholstery cleaning?
Gone mad for me...got 10 sofas this week!

Angelo

Re: Upholstery season
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 07:06:53 pm »
Maybe you too cheap??

JandS

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 07:20:52 pm »
Couldn't do with 10 sofas in a week...I would have to space them out more.....once did 2 in a day and never again.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Steven Butler

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 07:23:37 pm »
Definately not too cheap!!!!
I know what all competition charges and 100% nothing to do with price. 6 of them are from recommendations.

tim handley

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 07:37:56 pm »
I much prefer doing carpets....................... but if the price is right, you gotta get on with em.....

Bob Allen

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 09:15:12 pm »
Got a few this week myself, not done any for a couple of weeks I agree they do seem to come in waves
Bob Allen

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 09:38:41 pm »
It my first year of trading when it came to December, then in the last full week before Christmas I did 13 traditional 3ps in the week including 5 on one day :o :o :o and also carpets in the same houses.

It was a very, very long day. (But the money was excellent!)

I was not looking forward to the same week the following year.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 10:00:51 pm »
Carpet cleaning does give you aches but upholstery cleaning gives you aches and pains give me multi room carpet cleaning any day.

Steven Butler

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 10:21:36 pm »
Be suprised if anyone prefers upholstery to carpets!!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 07:49:07 am »
If you got £300 for cleaning a suite then which would you prefer?

I think most don't charge enough for suite cleaning that's why they don't want to do them, plus doing them as a 2 man team makes a massive difference I hate doing them alone but with a helper and charging a good price they are ok
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

JandS

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:23:13 am »
Mike's right it's not so bad when 2 of you are doing it but to me it's soul destroying on your own.
Saying that I could do leather suites all day.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

DB

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 09:30:20 am »
FIVE three piece suites in One day...plus carpets....you must have been working thirty hour days....no wonder you are retired????

Robin Ray

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 12:29:44 pm »
Unless there is some magic way of doing Upholstery the majority of people don't know about, isn't about 2 average suites about the maximum possible in a day. Even if it was possible I'm not sure if I would want to do more than 2.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 06:00:36 pm »
FIVE three piece suites in One day...plus carpets....you must have been working thirty hour days....no wonder you are retired????

That week I did 12 hour days on Monday and Tuesday, 13 hours Wednesday, 14 hours Thursday and 15 hours (the day of the 5 suites) on Friday. For good measure I had a light 5 hour day on the Saturday.

I finished for Christmas 3 days later on Christmas Eve on the Tuesday of the following week......and promptly went down with a bad cold which didn't get better until after New Year as my body could then afford to "rest".

But like Mike says I certainly increased my prices from then on and the funny thing is the more you charge the more you don't (quite) mind doing them. There again putting my prices up seemed to attract a fair few more of the big/valuable/weird fabric combinations suites which can cause a different set of problems.

Certainly working as a two man team which is what I did for my last 9 years before retiring easily cut the time in half for cleaning a suite. As I was discussing things with the client by the time I've finished that my number two had set up all the cleaning equipment, including dryers. We used to call it our "Operating Theatre"!

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

DB

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 07:00:53 pm »
When I was working full time I worked regularly twelve hour days but have only ever pulled in two suites a day plus some other work like carpets and rugs
Maybe I should have had that third shredded wheat for breakfast ::)roll