Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Blackadder

Transit custom
« on: May 09, 2016, 09:24:24 pm »
Anyone who has a custom, do you have any problems using split relay charge with start/stop technology?

Spruce

Re: Transit custom
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:10:51 pm »
You need a battery to battery charger.

Sterling are very pricey but top notch.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Tosh

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 11:11:26 pm »
I have had problems with the start stop  for about 18 months now. The local ford garage suggested it might be because the battery isnt fully charged - I have split charge relay. Anyway, they agreed to change the battery on it and last Friday they did so, free of charge. It has a four year warranty, Im into the fourth year now.

Anyway, I did a 30+ mile trip that evening and with a new battery, after a half decent run the start stop still wasn't working and now the rear doors unlock at the same time as the front doors with just the one button on the key fob, the drivers seat doesn't run on the runners as it should and there are a number of moulded plastic panels floating around the drivers compartment which previously were part of the battery fixings . Heyho, back we go to Ford.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 07:48:11 am »
Start stop on the custom is terrible, do you ever see the hazards randomly flash? Its a warning the batteries are low.

Apparently the ford system struggles to charge the battery.

You wont have the intelligent alternator system as your van is too old for it.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 07:13:32 pm »
I would get a cheap 12 volt meter and wire it to the van's (starter) battery. You can also get those volt meters that plug into the cigarette lighter.

As you are driving along you will be able to see when the alternator is charging and when it isn't. That's the only way you are going to get anything out of Ford. If you don't have a detailed explanation of your findings they will fob you off with all sorts of rubbish.

You will also be able to see roughly what the battery voltage is after its been standing for a few hours so will be able to get a good idea of the battery's state of charger before starting the engine.

Does this help?
http://www.valeoservice.com/data/master/webfile/2945759434DDE6E8714173.pdf

-

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 07:43:56 pm »
Start stop on the custom is terrible, do you ever see the hazards randomly flash? Its a warning the batteries are low.

Apparently the ford system struggles to charge the battery.

You wont have the intelligent alternator system as your van is too old for it.

Ford have been taking steps toward this since 2005. The alternator and battery charging has been controlled via the ecu for a good few years now.

duncan h

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 09:02:58 pm »
Mk7 is controlled by the ECU, so the custom should be.
No problems here with mk7.
Custom should have an AGM battery. Make sure the other one is the same. It should have high output alternator with stop start system

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 06:35:19 am »
do all these new vans have stop/start technology on them?
price higher/work harder!

Ste M

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 10:35:58 pm »
I've just got a new custom, they've now stopped the stop start on them, in our job of short runs these new intelligent batteries are a nightmare, my 3 year old transit had two new batteries, they're a terrible idea

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 10:55:16 pm »
I've just got a new custom, they've now stopped the stop start on them, in our job of short runs these new intelligent batteries are a nightmare, my 3 year old transit had two new batteries, they're a terrible idea

Have you got the 2.0L engine ?

KS Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 11:02:59 pm »
I have a March 2015 Custom Limited 2.2, it doesn't have start/stop

Ste M

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 03:06:59 pm »

Have you got the 2.0L engine ?

no 2.2. the new model is dearer, the salesman told me they no longer do stop start due to so many complaints